Mk 3 Convertible for sale

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Mk 3 Convertible for sale

Postby ilmung » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi
I am Geert from Belgium who bought the Midas convertible from Alan .
Can someone help me in giving me the emailadres of Hans from the Netherlands ?
I wanted to put a metro turbo engine in the Midas but Alan advise me to take first contact with Hans before doing the job !
kind regards
geert
ilmung

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 pm

ilmung wrote:Hi
I am Geert from Belgium who bought the Midas convertible from Alan .
Can someone help me in giving me the emailadres of Hans from the Netherlands ?
I wanted to put a metro turbo engine in the Midas but Alan advise me to take first contact with Hans before doing the job !
kind regards
geert

Hi Geert,
You can use either hans.efde@hccnet.nl or hansefde@yahoo.com. And yes alan is right, I have been playing with a Convertible with MED turbo power and it's useless. Heat is a huge problem, but also oil cooling and choosing the right oil. The turbo needs thin oil while the gearbox needs thick oil. You either destroy the gearbox or the turbo depending on which oil you use. Also the A-series engine is an old school turbo engine, very little low end torque and everything at once over 3500 rpm. It's much better to habe what I have now, a stage2 high compression head and lots of things optimised like lightened flywheel, mide range LCB, MG inlet manifold and 1.5 rockers. For next year it will have fuel injection and electronic mapping. Not for more power but for reliability, fuel efficiency and faster revving. With electronic ignition the engine feels much smoother.
Hans Efde

Postby noggy10motorcycles » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Good afternoon,
Have noted your Midas for sale and would appreciate a few details as the more I research Midas the more they appeal. You note the interior needs work, does it require a full retrim to make good do you think? Your car sounds the sort of vehicle I should invest in, good but with some work required. I want a vehicle to tinker with but which I can also use, eventually to custom in my own way. Never driven or had a ride in a Midas. Some of the ads I have seen talk about rattles and excess noise when driving, what is yours like? Have driven A series engined cars and like their simplicity, what condition is your 1275 unit? Am currently in Portugal but returning to the UK mid Jan for a couple of weeks so if your car still available would like a look.
Any info you could supply would be helpful. In the past I have had classic cars, now looking for something more fun.
Regards Bill Copland
noggy10motorcycles

Postby noggy10motorcycles » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Sorry for the message, had not read the advert correctly, no reply required!
Ragards Bill Copland
noggy10motorcycles

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

As you have noticed the car is already sold to Geert in Belgium. I'm just going to change the engine on the log Book (V5). As it is very difficult to alter a cars specification in some Euro-land countries. Then the car is then to be transported to Belgium.

But if you need any more help or advice on Midi, this is the place to ask.

With regards to rattles, I've eliminated them on this car and you can talk on the hands free phone up to about 60 MPH. It's noise acceptable, but it is certainly no Rolls Royce. When I build a coupe, I'm going to Dynamat it. I saw a demonstration of Dynamat at the classic car show, it was amazing.

I believe that only about 100 convertibles exist and how many are still out there, nobody knows! So I think the cars are to become quite sort after, when the rest of the classic car world realizes how strong and long lasting the bodies are. I have two more, one registered and one unregistered. I'm selling the car above to make space and get one of the other convertibles on the road, with a modern engine and five speed box.

Here are some pictures of the car loaded onto a trailer for the first part of its journey, yesterday.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Merry Christmas to you as well Alan. I had forgotten how good that hardtop still looks.
Hans Efde

Postby ilmung » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Alan
I must agree with Hans the Midas + hardtop looks really "good " !
To every body on the forum : season's greetings and especially a very good healthy new year 2014 !!!!
regards
Geert
ilmung

Previous

Return to For sale