MIDAS BRONZE Mk 2 FOR SALE (revised version)

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MIDAS BRONZE Mk 2 FOR SALE (revised version)

Postby mfdriver » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37 am

13 inch wheels 1.jpg
13 inch wheels 1.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
It is with some considerable regret that I have decided to sell my Midas. I have been bitten by the Hill Climb/Sprint experience, and have been using my 1971 Cooper "S" which is far too valuable to have an accident in!
I have another Mini which is 1/3 of the way towards being a competitive car and need to finance the project to complete the other 2/3rds.
The Midas was built in 1988/89 by students at Sheffield Hallam University, the Head of the Engineering dept. having persuaded the University this would be a "good thing". He paid for everything, the students built it, and he owned the car at the end of the build. It was used to promote the Universities engineering skills for a couple of years and then put away in the Professors garage until 2014!
The donor vehicle was a 1978 Mini Van, and the Midas retains the Vans original registration number. It has a standard 998 cc engine with Lumenition electronic ignition, and a made to measure Maniflow manifold and two box exhaust system. There is a single 1 1/2" SU on after-market manifold and K&N cone filter. The front mounted radiator has an electric fan, operated by a switch on dash.
I have fitted Hi-Lo ride height adjusters to the front, and new SPAX coil over shock absorbers to rear, with 12" springs to drop ride height slightly. Front brakes are 8.4" Mini discs, rear Mini spacer drums.
It sits on 13" Revolution RFX alloys with sleeved wheel nuts. Tyres are virtually unused Maxxis (ideal for track days)
Inside it has Cobra leather reclining seats (passenger side has split to squab which can be repaired) and I have just fitted new floor carpet (black). Dash instrumentation and switches are from a Metro, door handles from a Cortina, front lights from an Allegro and rear lights TR7! There is a stereo radio/CD player with twin speakers behind the seats.
I have fitted brand new gas struts for rear hatch/window, the battery has a cut off device and there is a spare Revolution RFX 13" wheel with virtually unused Pirelli tyre in the boot.
I had the car resprayed in the winter (front, stripe, roof and rear, not the white). The Spot lights are not connected.
The only other issue I am aware of is the reluctance of the speedometer to work.
THIS IS NOT A "WORK IN PROGRESS" CAR, IT IS READY TO USE, although of course one can spend endless hours fettling and updating if that is what one needs to do!
I am looking for offers around £2150, as I think the condition reflects this sort of price, but then, what do I know!
Please send me a PM and we can have a drive and a chat.
There are plenty of photos of it on various parts of the Midas forum, under Photos, Live or Dead and possibly the Midas Bronze technical page.(any photos of different seats are not those that are fitted!)
I look forward to hearing from you
Attachments
13 inch wheels 3.jpg
13 inch wheels 3.jpg (117.43 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Last edited by mfdriver on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfdriver

Re: MIDAS BRONZE Mk 2 FOR SALE

Postby coh1952 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Very interested.
Please may I come and have a look and a chat?
I live in Totton but work during week in Oxford.
Colin
ColinOH
coh1952

Re: MIDAS BRONZE Mk 2 FOR SALE (revised version)

Postby mfdriver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:39 pm

This car is now SOLD to another Midas supporter.
Malcolm
mfdriver

Return to For sale