Midas Gold MK 3 convertible

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Gold MK 3 convertible

Postby billybob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:13 am

Hi all, I am considering selling my Midas....only considering as I have not had the car long but other commitments may be coming to the fore :( I had wanted to get fully involved in the club but actually never sorted my membership out. This is something I may still do though as you've all been incredibly helpful to me!

I will be as honest as I can be and will even include the original listing from ebay when I purchased the car:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midas-Gold-Co ... 789wt_1348

As you can see I paid £1500.

I have carried out the following additional work:
New front brakes (disks and pads)
New pot joint rubber seals (massive job) and all of the rubbers around the suspension linkages that needed replacing were replaced
Hydragas pump up on both front struts (not leaking so this is still fine)
Seats out of a smart car (these have some wet patches but will clean up like new and are comfy enough)
New distributor cap and HT leads/rotar arm- alreaddy electronic ignition
New radiator fan with manually wired switch (relayed)
New front tyres
New mechanical fuel pump
New gear selector shaft seal

Essentially all the parts that I changed were to make the car reliable and roadworthy again even though it already had an MOT- it was leaking oil but this is now stopped thanks to all the replaced rubber seals and fuel pump. A tiny drip does still come from the gear selector shaft seal but I couldn't fix that. It is barely noticeable so I was happy to leave it. I have read that this is pretty common with the a-series lumps.

To make this car perfect I agree with the original ad that a respray would be a good idea and also a better stereo (still has cassette player!)
The exhaust is also loud- some people love this but I don't. It doesn't seem to be blowing from anywhere, it is just loud!

The car still runs and drives fine and now handles well since sorting the hydragas out and it is a proper head turner. MOT is until February and I can't see anything to stop it passing again either...I am a motorbiker and wish to get a big bike again so will probably end up keeping the car through the winter unless the right offer comes along before Christmas. Somewhere between 1700 and 2000 seems more than a fair price to me given the additional work and cost of parts.

This is the standard statement for this type of car but here goes:
Previous (1 owner before me) is a mechanical engineer in his 40's-50's and he built the car- I still have massive amounts of documentation which I am happy to let go with the car.
I am a chemical engineer myself with experience in rebuilding classic cars/ bikes with my 2 brothers (a morris minor and a singer chamois were our first cars) so make of that what you will! Car has had very careful hands looking after it.
It is fully registered as a midas and everything is above board with the documentation.

One more thing, I will mail the original owner as well and he will get first refusal as this only seems fair- he was totally fair with me after all.

please PM me if you wish to come and have a look.

We are based in leamington, warwickshire.
billybob

Re: Midas Gold MK 3 convertible

Postby billybob » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:05 am

If there are no takers here then I may well put the car on Ebay, I'll give it a few weeks before doing that though as I would rather see someone from here have the car......
billybob

Postby kelvink » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:23 pm

I can only think that it's the wrong time of the year really for selling a roadster as the car looks a good buy to me. Sorry to say though that I've no room for it.

Just to maybe help things along a bit here's a photo so people don't have to click the link to ebay...

More on the ebay link given at the top of this posting. I've nothing to do with this car but it looks like a good opportunity to someone. Go on you know you want to.....
kelvink

Postby billybob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for putting the picture up Kelvin. I'll still keep the car for the forum users for another couple of weeks and will then consider Ebay- you might be right with the time of year! Someone will be tempted, its not a lot of money for quite a lot of car. With more advertising I'm sure it will sell easily but as I'm not in a rush I will keep it low key for now.
If anymore pictures are required please PM me and I'll send them over.
billybob

Postby Marc Hilton » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Do you still have this?
Marc Hilton

Postby billybob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi Marc,
yes I still have the Midas. I was going through a bit of an uncertain time at work back when I posted which seams to have settled down a bit now so I intended to keep the car until MOT time and re-MOT it (in February). I could still be tempted to sell though....I have completed all the work required to get it MOT'd now though. Got all the lights working as they should, replaced a few of the metal brackets for new parts and it now has new tyres all round.
Just ask if you want any more information.

Thanks,
billybob

Postby keltoi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi billybob,
Have you made a decision on selling your Gold ?
I could be interested.
look forward to hearing from you.

keltoi
keltoi

Postby billybob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Keltoi,

sent you a message, but for others out there I am prepared to sell the car for the right offer.
billybob

Postby billybob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi all,

MOT time is in a month for the midas, once it has passed I intend to put her up for sale. Preferably here but maybe Ebay if there are no takers.
Make an offer if you fancy :D
billybob

Postby billybob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi all,

the car passed it's MOT today. There were 2 advisories but nothing major- a slight oil leak out of the gear selector shaft and slight play in one of the upper suspension mounts but the guy said it was no cause for concern.

I will be taking the car to the Stonleigh kit car show unless it sells before then. If anybody is interested then please get in touch.
billybob

Next

Return to For sale