Midas Excelsior - Now Sold

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Excelsior - Now Sold

Postby ACourtney » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:12 am

I have been asked by Grenville Phillips to advertise his unfinished Excelsior Kit, which he must sadly sell due to health and space issues.
The Excelsior started life as a planned demonstrator for the Redditch factory. Amongst the developments included were to be a new dashboard and 14" wheels. The dashboard disappeared long ago, but the 14" KN wheels and 195/45-14 Yokohama tyres are still on the car.

GP1.jpg
GP1.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 4624 times

I know a little bit of the history of the car as a couple of previous owners have been in contact with me for parts and advice. When the Redditch factory closed the car was in the possession of one of Mark Bailey's collaborators. He was owed a great deal of money and kept the car as payment. I believe that the development dashboard contained various electronic gizmos and these were sold off before the car was also sold on. It appeared at some point on ebay, but the next time I heard about the car was some years later when it had been bought by a Mr Donaldson, from Leeds. He bought a number of parts from me so that at he had everything needed to finish the car. His plan was to put a Peugeot 1.5 Diesel engine, from a Rover 115D, into the car, but I don't think he got very far as it still had a 1.4 8v K-series in it when Grenville bought it. Furthermore, the car had changed changed hands at least once before then. Grenville found another donor Rover 114, with better subframes and engine and he also has all the paperwork for the donor (important for IVA). So the car has had a newer subframe and engine fitted recently. The car has spent all of its life under cover so, whilst it has been covered in dust at times it has always been dry.

GP2.jpg
GP2.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 4624 times

Grenville is an experienced kit car builder and it is only ill health that has stopped him from finishing the car. He believes that all the parts to finish the car off are present and from what I have seen the only major task remaining is to finish the interior. This includes bonding the lower dashboard section in place. I have the setting jig that is required to get the dashboard positioned correctly and would be happy to assist whoever buys this car. Grenville will include a pair of MX5 seats which he had intended to fit.

This is now sold so please do not contact Grenville.
Last edited by ACourtney on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACourtney

Re: Midas Excelsior - Unfinished Kit - Bargain price

Postby kelvink » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:30 pm

:o This is one hell of a bargain for someone!

A complete brand new kit with donor parts all ready to assemble. You couldn't really ask for anything more! :D

The only thing I could ask for is more space in which to put this as my workshop is full sadly :(
kelvink

Re: Midas Excelsior - Unfinished Kit - Bargain price

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Is it possible than this collaborator also possesses the mould of the LHD Rover 213 dash for the Gold? Bailey doesn't know where it is, but it must be in the hands of a GRP parts supplying company.
Hans Efde

Return to For sale