White Bronze for sale

Sell your old and unwanted parts here

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

White Bronze for sale

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:51 am

I got this email from Brian. He has a very pretty prize winning Bronze for sale. If you are interested check his pics at Photobucket and send him an email. Don't email me or respond to this post since he doesn't see it.

The car is a 1987 Midas Bronze. White gel coat. New professionally built 1380. Coil spring suspension all round with a front anti-roll bar. Midas 13" GB alloys and good tyres. Clean standard interior with extra sound insulation. Generally, it's in very good condition but the engine needs valve stem oil seals fitting to the exhaust valves as it smokes a little, none were fitted due to it having bronze guides.
I have opened an account with photobucket under the user midasmad and created a directory of photos of the car called car for sale.

asking price £1400 ono
Email to brian@dunnbunch.fsnet.co.uk
Unquote
Hans Efde

Re: White Bronze for sale

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Stuart

Postby eddiethemini » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 am

Hi is the bronze still for sale
Last edited by eddiethemini on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddiethemini

Postby bronzenut » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Dayle, yes the car is still for sale, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I rather unexpectedly bought another Midas a few weeks ago and find I cannot now keep two. The Exhaust smoke is bothering me though. I supplied the head to the engine builders. I bought it off eBay a couple of years ago. It had been passed down from uncle to nephew for use on their Mini but was never used. It had been expertly ported and polished and was covered in an oil-type preservative, originally painted light blue. During the engine build, the head was stripped and inspected but we did not think that there was excessive guide wear, I can only think that the 1.5 rockers are making matters worse. Just at the moment, my engine builders are swomped with work as their machinist is off work with a broken ankle! otherwise I would replace the guides.
Thank's for your interest, all the best, Brian.
bronzenut

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:26 am

I had oil seals on my valve stems installed before I went to Stoneleigh this year. It's about an hour work (you don't need to take the head off) and it cured the excessive oil consumption on my convertible. Can't believe those chaps don't have the time to help you out. If the play on the bronze guides is okay this is your solution.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby bronzenut » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Dear Hans. Thank's for the advice. I have fitted valve stem oil seals to the exhaust valves this afternoon. Couldn't feel any play in the stems. The spark plug electrodes were grey, so ok. The plugs are ngk bpr6, do you think they might be a little cold? I have'nt asked the guys at the engine biulders because I know they would go out of their way to help but I think they have enough on their plates at the moment. If the rain holds off I'll take the car for a run tonight and see how things go. Thank's again, Brian.
bronzenut

Postby Rich » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Have you got fresh good quality oil in the engine? When are you getting the smoke, under acceleration or on the over-run?

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby bronzenut » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi rich. I was mainly getting the smoke when stopped at traffic lights. I would notice a blue haze appear from the back of the car. Very embarrassing because I knew the the engine was new! I have fitted valve stem oil seals to the exhaust valves and I think it has cured it. The car goes for it's MOT tomorrow so we should see what it's like in the daylight. Thank's for your help, Brian.
PS, I've just put the car up for sale on eBay as I have another Midas to rebuild !!
bronzenut

Postby Rich » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Blue smoke at rest, I think I'd want to check the mixture wasn't too rich and that the choke was coming all the way off. You tend to get smoke on the over-run from worn guides when the engine is sucking against a closed throttle.
Rich

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Stuart

Next

Return to For sale