Wanted - Cortez / Excelsior Windscreen

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Wanted - Cortez / Excelsior Windscreen

Postby Alan D. » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 pm

PeteH wrote:Is there any news on this? I need to replace my Cortez windscreen, I would be interested in purchasing one.

Hello PeteH

The supplier was waiting to get a number of windscreens in a packing case, which is then to be sent to China. So the mark 4 windscreen is in this job lot to be sent top China. Just trying to do it the most cost effective way! I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if there is any progress. I did also think about getting a heated rear glass for the Mark 3 convertible, but I don't know if there would be enough demand.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby PeteH » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Alan. Any rough idea as to price?
PeteH

Postby Alan D. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 pm

PeteH wrote:Thanks Alan. Any rough idea as to price?

Sorry not a clue at the moment!

I've asked for two prices, one for a normal screen and a second price for a heated front screen. From the feed back from the Mark 3 owners, a heated screen makes the car safer and much more pleasant to drive.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby davidj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Alan
I thought it would be sensible to check that I am on the list for a Cortez windscreen as a spare for my son's black Cortez? Obviously the order would be subject to a sensible price. Have you actually got a definitive list for those wanting these windscreens? If not would it help you if I try to find those from within the Midas Owners Club?
davidj

Postby Alan D. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 pm

davidj wrote:Alan
I thought it would be sensible to check that I am on the list for a Cortez windscreen as a spare for my son's black Cortez? Obviously the order would be subject to a sensible price. Have you actually got a definitive list for those wanting these windscreens? If not would it help you if I try to find those from within the Midas Owners Club?

Good Idea David,

I've inherited the job as you know, Tony had an original list of seven interested parties. But since then I've had expressions of interest from; Mike Perkins,another David Johnson from Chester Le Street (about ten miles from me) Pete H. Alistair wants two screens and your good-self. If anyone else is interested let me or David Johnson know, all I'm after is an expression of interest at the moment.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Just to let everyone know, the Mark 4 pattern windscreen is on a slow boat to China. We should have some prices in a couple of weeks. Can I also just mention That I still have a brand new heated front screen available to fit a Mark 1,2 or 3 Midas, this is the last heated front screen available in the world. This screen is only available as someone cancelled at the last minute.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Mon May 13, 2013 10:13 pm

We've had the first batch of heated screens delivered from China, so I'm about to order a second batch. So if you are interested please get in touch. There was one gentleman who contacted me, but I've lost his email, if you could contact me again, I would be obliged. This will be the last batch of Mk4 screens so don't miss out.

Brian Dunn ( bronze nut) kindly collected the above screens for me. Thanks Brian. But while he was there Rick, our supplier give him these tips for fitting heated screens.

Just a note to mention the 3 golden rules when fitting the new Mk 4 heated windscreen. Rick did say that any decent fitter would do this in any case but just to be sure:

1, Paint 3 layers of etch primer (glass) around the edge of the screen. This is to stop water from ever seeping in between the layers of glass. On a normal screen this results in a milky discoloration but no harm. On a heated screen the elements corrode and it stops working.

2. As you fit the screen, align the wires upwards into the field of vision, put glue between the wires and the glass within the masked off area, fit the screen to the shell and then bend the wires back down to the dash for their electrical connection. This ensures that there are no cavities in the glue area around the wires allowing for air or water leaks.

3. Each screen has 2 separate heating elements, 1 on the left and 1 on the right, hence 2 pairs of wires. Each element requires a +12 volt supply and an earth. It doesn't matter which of the wires is which. Rick has a example wiring diagram on his website. When designing your electrical circuit, do not connect it directly to the battery, use a switch. Rick also recommended including a tell-tale lamp to say that the screen was on, taking the supply from the switched ignition so that it doesn't flatten your battery by mistake. It was suggested a better solution might be a timed switch so that the screen only stays on for a minute or so, they draw a lot of current but can work very quickly to demist a screen.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby wolfie » Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Why not wire it up to the rear windscreen circuit? I know on the old Sierras this is how it was done
wolfie

Previous

Return to Wanted