mk3 gold headlight brackets

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

mk3 gold headlight brackets

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:52 pm

i need some headlight brackets for my gold i will pay any price second hand or new cash waiting please help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help
b1zbaz

Re: mk3 gold headlight brackets

Postby Alan D. » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:37 pm

b1zbaz wrote:i need some headlight brackets for my gold i will pay any price second hand or new cash waiting please help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help

I can concur with Bizbaz, that Cibie are not supplying them any more! I've telephoned a few of the big name suppliers today and they all say the same thing, NO! So unless we can find a wholesaler with some new old stock or see if they were fitted to any other car, we have a little problem!

An alternative may be to go to a different headlight altogether. I think Hans and David had thoughts on this, with "Smart " car headlights etc... But I like the Frog-eye look of the Mk 3! Why can we not fit the back-plates off say a Mini (the real Mini I mean).

I need two sets of these Cibie mounting rings, to give them their correct title.

I think the same problem is occurring for the Mk 1 & 2's with their Allegro light fittings. I don't have a problem with changing the lights on my Mk 1 & 2's as I think that they look better with round lights, be it single or twin headlights. There are lots of small diameter headlights available. So for me that just leaves the problem of keeping the Mk 3 with the same look!

Does anyone have any further thoughts on the subject?

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:47 pm

The frogeye look is something I'd hate to lose. However, it might be worth having a play around with Photoshop, for anyone who has that, just to experiment with different headlamp shapes and sizes to see if it's possible to find a reasonable looking alternative. I did think the Smart car lamps looked like a workable alternative, but that was after seeing David's photo with black lamp surrounds on a white car - if the surrounds matched the colour of the body, it would definitely look different - whether better or worse I couldn't predict. Another job for Photoshop, I think.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Attachments
cib_mount-ring.jpg
cib_mount-ring.jpg (104.54 KiB) Viewed 10087 times
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:36 am

faceofdoh wrote:The frogeye look is something I'd hate to lose. However, it might be worth having a play around with Photoshop, for anyone who has that, just to experiment with different headlamp shapes and sizes to see if it's possible to find a reasonable looking alternative. I did think the Smart car lamps looked like a workable alternative, but that was after seeing David's photo with black lamp surrounds on a white car - if the surrounds matched the colour of the body, it would definitely look different - whether better or worse I couldn't predict. Another job for Photoshop, I think.

Yes, i've tried that. But I am not that good in Photoshop and I believe there are much betterprograms for car design.
David lightswhitesmall.jpg
David lightswhitesmall.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 am

As an alternative Ed believes Porsche 911 lights (I think the 993 version) might fit. He bought a set on Ebay (ouch), but hasn't had time to try them out.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Alan D. wrote:

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Alan

Hi all,

Tried them this afternoon, but was beaten to by Barry. The gentleman I spoke to, is going to make further inquiries and ring me back. Cibie say they don't do them anymore and to order a batch to be made, we would need to order 100's. so I think it may be a No No!!
But he said he would look for an alternative, that's the best I can do at the moment. A thought did occur to me (always dangerous) I wondered if the could be made in fiberglass?

Any thoughts you fiberglass experts!!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm looking at one right now Alan and I think there's a good reason they were injection moulded instead of laminated, other than time and cost of course.

Is there any reason not immediately obvious to me that means you couldn't make something like>>this<< fit and do the job?
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Rich wrote:I'm looking at one right now Alan and I think there's a good reason they were injection moulded instead of laminated, other than time and cost of course.

Is there any reason not immediately obvious to me that means you couldn't make something like>>this<< fit and do the job?

Hi Rich,

I've had the same thoughts, The truth is I've not really investigated why we use this particular type, as I've never actually built a Mk 3! But I've got two unregistered cars sitting in my garages, both without headlights! So as per usual I try and gather bits in the hope of sorting them out in the future, now I'm nearing retirement! So lets hope one of our more experienced owners will tell us why we use the Cibie type of headlight ring.
I'm doing another building project at the moment. I've just done a little bit of work on my convertible. The next job is to get the Rover 200 BRM back on the road, ( cam belt and head ). Then it's back to a Mk 2, trying to fit an alternative engine and new rear beams, for Mks 1,2 &3. So I'm not slacking!

Alan
Alan D.

Next

Return to Wanted