Doorcards / Dashboard

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Doorcards / Dashboard

Postby lankyjames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any spare, tatty, old, uncovered doorcards or dashboards floating around?

I'm interested in changing my interior but due to the factory originality I feel I may be committing a grave offence to the company, the club and the marque if I rip apart the originals!
lankyjames

Re: Doorcards / Dashboard

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 am

No please do cut up the factory stuff and come up with something better. There is no such thing as originality on a Midas.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:29 am

Hans my plan is to have the dash flocked and the door cards recovered or even flocked also and change the seats for something newer, and the carpets while I'm at it!

If I was any good with fibreglass I'd love to have a go at remaking the dash, something in a few pieces and easier to fit, or hook up the demisters etc
lankyjames

Postby kelvink » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 pm

I can do GRP and I am also going to be doing a new dash and door-trims so maybe if you want to wait a while you might like what I'm going to be doing. I'm not sure which car it is you have, mine's a Mk2, but the door trims will fit more than likely and I could probably do the dash in a way that ought to make it possible to fit most variants of the Midas.

I think saying the Midas has nothing original about it is rather harsh Hans, other than a portion of engine bay bulkhead being similar to a Mini Marcos I really can't see where you are coming from on that. Perhaps something's got lost in translation?
kelvink

Postby MrBounce » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 pm

I think what Hans is saying is that he thinks the original design isn't very good and needs updating/replacing. We're a resourceful and creative lot on here! I took one look at the horrible Mk1 dash in my project with its knackered rusty 1275GT dials and promptly cut it out with power tools. I will be replacing it with something I would be far happier with. I also did this to my last Mini, even getting a small article on it in Mini Magazine in its "Mini In The Park" report back in about 1999.

I have no fear remaking something to a better standard than it was originally. In my Midas' case, that is not going to be too difficult. :lol:
MrBounce

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am

kelvink wrote:I can do GRP and I am also going to be doing a new dash and door-trims so maybe if you want to wait a while you might like what I'm going to be doing. I'm not sure which car it is you have, mine's a Mk2, but the door trims will fit more than likely and I could probably do the dash in a way that ought to make it possible to fit most variants of the Midas.

I think saying the Midas has nothing original about it is rather harsh Hans, other than a portion of engine bay bulkhead being similar to a Mini Marcos I really can't see where you are coming from on that. Perhaps something's got lost in translation?

Ha ha, no translation error. It's just that the Midas is a kitcar and there is no sort of frozen design that gives you extra points on a classic concours. During the build if anyone had an idea how things could be better, they just did. So on a Midas club day it is unlikely you will see 2 similar Midasses. The Midas is a very original and genuine car and I love the shape, but I can't see originality issues. Esspecially on the interior it seemed Richard Oakes didn't spend much time and the interior is a bland reflection of the wonderful outside. Therefore there is a lot of room for improvement. When I've finished the renovation of the front and engine, my next step is new rear lights based on Smart Roadster lights, a new fully folding soft top and the last bit would be a new dashboard and doorcards. And I am going to cut up a perfect RHD Rover 200 dashboard for that.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:10 am

OK Hans, now I see what you're meaning.

I agree that one of the wonderful things about kit cars is indeed that you will rarely ever see two alike and that they offer people the ability to build a car to their individual taste. In fact they generally encourage it which I too think is a fantastic thing and have always supported.

The Midas in it's day was actually praised for it's completeness and that included praise for it's interior being much more of production car quality than most kits. The Midas was certainly one of the best set of parts available in it's day in the kit car scene and was one of the very few that was not looked down upon being a kit. Even amongst the more main stream automotive industry it was very much admired.

I like to see a kit as a framework from which people can work on and add their character and style to them. It doesn't always work but then that's the point really as everyone is different and has a different opinion on things. I'm particularly pleased to hear that you are able to modify your car there in Holland as it's one of the European countries where it is very difficult to get to build your own car mainly due to legislation that wants us all in mass produced cloned boxes. Long may our individuality live! :)

I'm also doing a complete make over on my Bronze as I also feel that I can put a bit of a more modern flavour into the car. The dash, trim and lights are all on the list of things being addressed. I'd never say the original car was poorly designed though far from it, it's way ahead of many cars of it's day and the fact that they are still here 30+ years later has to support that belief surely :)

Edit:-
I've just remembered something I used to say about kit cars and you're mention of the Rover 200 prompted me thanks Hans. What we are actually doing with Kit cars is taking mass produced boxes and improving on them! Now how good is that ! :D
kelvink

Return to Wanted