Registration help needed

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Registration help needed

Postby davemini59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Can you help me to register my car?
davemini59

Re: log wanted

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Do you have a chassis plate with a number on it?

If you have a chassis number we can trace the registration, via the club records, just as was done on BIzbaz's car (I think it was his car, did that car not come from James?) as this car was retrieved from Germany. If not, you are struggling. Unless you can find any further history. Try some photos on this site, someone may recognise it.

I have the sister car that came back from Germany with the moulds, this car has never been registered. But is still a useful body-shell. I think it could be legally used to re-shell a car as in theory it's a new shell, after all they do it with MGB's and Midgets and Mini's.

There's a Mk 1 Midas in one of my garages, which is registered as a Mini! I wonder how many more Midas cars are registered in such a way. I imagine it's mainly Mk1's, maybe some Mk2's as well.

Dave's only looking to get his car back on the road, so lets try and help!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby lankyjames » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Alan D. wrote:If you have a chassis number we can trace the registration, via the club records, just as was done on BIzbaz's car (I think it was his car, did that car not come from James?) as this car was retrieved from Germany. If not, you are struggling.

Exactly how baz's was done. Sold with no plates, but we found out what it was originally - applied to the DVLA and got a V5 and the original plate back on it.
lankyjames

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

lankyjames wrote:
Alan D. wrote:If you have a chassis number we can trace the registration, via the club records, just as was done on BIzbaz's car (I think it was his car, did that car not come from James?) as this car was retrieved from Germany. If not, you are struggling.

Exactly how baz's was done. Sold with no plates, but we found out what it was originally - applied to the DVLA and got a V5 and the original plate back on it.

That's positive thinking.

So this advice, is the way to go Dave.

Thanks James

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 pm

We've not been able to find this car in the club magazines though, so we don't know the registration number.
I believe it is possible to get an age related plate for older vehicles where the original registration number isn't known, part of the process involves providing proof of the vehicle age from a reputable source.
Roger Garland from the Mini Marcos club has some experience of this I believe.

More info here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles

Roger's details are on page 8 http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 187821.pdf
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Stuart wrote:We've not been able to find this car in the club magazines though, so we don't know the registration number.
I believe it is possible to get an age related plate for older vehicles where the original registration number isn't known, part of the process involves providing proof of the vehicle age from a reputable source.
Roger Garland from the Mini Marcos club has some experience of this I believe.

Thanks Stuart,

So this advice might Might apply to Aitchi's Mk 1, I have letters and past owners information. I did consult my local DVLA office and they seemed to indicate that this was all possible, but they wanted to inspect the car, which is not a problem, as I have the log book and MOT's. But they would only inspect a whole running car. This particular car is only a rolling shell, as the previous owner stripped it of everything that would be useful on a Mini. I saved it from being scrapped, so it may live on.

Hopefully we can discover something on Dave's Mk 1 or 2 Midas.

Just to point out a Mk 2 could be a Bronze, a gold or silver, not just a bronze. As I believe this designation referred to the level of trim or finish that it left the factory in. Is this true Stuart or was it the Mk , or both cars?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I've added a couple of links Alan.

Yes the MK 2 came in Silver and Gold, but there's no reference to these on the log book, then the later ones were renamed Bronze when the MK 3 got the Gold designation. I'm not certain if the same applied to the MK 1 without having a look at some old reprints.

as I have the log book and MOT's

That's just a case of a change of registered keeper isn't it?
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Stuart wrote:I've added a couple of links Alan.

Yes the MK 2 came in Silver and Gold, then the later ones were renamed Bronze when the MK 3 got the Gold designation. I'm not certain if the same applied to the MK 1 without having a look at some old reprints.

as I have the log book and MOT's

That's just a case of a change of registered keeper isn't it?

But it's called a Mini in the log book and not a Midas, are the not getting very sticky on MOT's these days, with miss-described cars!
This car was originally on EBay ( a white one, just round the corner from Alberto, but I don't think he'd seen it) but was removed because people were humming and haaing about the registration. But it's been on the road with this reg. for about 30 years.

Alan
Alan D.

Re: Registration help needed

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Ah right. I know they had a period a few years ago where they'd just put the correct identity on. There was a thread on Pistonheads about it.
Stuart

Re: Registration help needed

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Stuart wrote:Ah right. I know they had a period a few years ago where they'd just put the correct identity on. There was a thread on Pistonheads about it.

They are closing all of the local offices I believe, will this make jobs like this, harder or easier.

Alan
Alan D.

Next

Return to Wanted