Midas numbers

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas numbers

Postby justamin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:31 am

Just curious. Does anyone know roughly how many Midas Mk 1's and 2's there are left on the road?
justamin

Re: Midas numbers

Postby ACourtney » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm

I don't have a specific answer, but I did a bit of research a couple of years ago which gave me a rough idea.

The owners club used to publish lists of owners and the details of their cars, before the data protection act (1998) stopped such practices. Using the list published in 1991, I checked the car registration details of about 100 cars on the DVLA website - https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla - The list was a mixture of all models then available, so included some Mk3 coupes and a handful of convertibles.

Around 20 cars were either taxed, or had been SORNed within the past year, so those were the cars I would judge as being on the road.
Around 10 cars had been exported or scrapped - the DVLA doesn't specify which - and another 10 could not be found on their database, which pointed to them not having been correctly registered as a Midas.
The rest all had long outstanding tax liabilities (from before the introduction of SORN in 1999) or had been on SORN for a number years. So that means around 60 per cent of the cars that had been on the road in 1991 are still around, but haven't been on the road for sometime.
ACourtney

Re: Midas numbers

Postby justamin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer the question Alex. I am at present, trying to get my Mk 2 upto a good enough standard to go to Stonleigh. Unfortunately, itself having been off the road 12 years, I keep finding mechanical parts that need replacing. A familiar story I am sure!
Regards, Pete
justamin

Return to Wanted