Rockers!

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rockers!

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:27 am

Mtrike wrote:Rich
You are not far wrong, the 286 will go too first time the engine is out. Apart from the lumpy fast idle the whole combo is too powerful for today's traffic, it's a boot it, brake it, boot it machine by the time the powers coming in in third you are already up to nearly 80 with a gear to go (not helped by a high final drive in my case). Can be fun but gets wearing, it's more suited for a circuit. What is good is the 1380 gives it reasonable torque at 3000 and means it cruises well.

Lumpy idle may be due to vapour lock. I have a 1299cc, 1.5 forged rockers, double springs, stage2 head, Swifttune fast road cam, lightened fly wheel, pancake filter, SS LCB and it's both a hoot to drive when revved hard and usable in town. BUT I've had my share of lumpy running through town (or cutting out at high speed when releasing the throttle), idle isn't that bad but I've set it between 800 and 900rpm. Luckily I can see my Lambda real time, and noticed the lumpiness related to high lambda values which would pop up erratically. First I thought it was a fuel supply problem (explained in the rebuild thread of my car), but it seems just to be simple overheating of the carb. I've now placed an extra 10cm hose (already had a hose but it was aiming more towards the LCB) blowing directly towards the carb (air coming from a hole in the bumper) and it seems to work.
I would say with your set up, you have an issue with the carb setup (it has taken me a long time to get the needle correctly profiled, so imagine doing this on the fly without lambda info), carb cooling or timing. Lumpiness may also be too much advance. I really don't think around 90bhp is too much power for a Midas. I've had a MED turbo sprint engine in with 3.44 diff. That would deliver between 120 and 160bhp and that's too much for the poor diff. I would say 120bhp is too much power, because a stronger clutch diafragm is needed (which wears out the crank shaft fast) and the torque steer was terrible. When that turbo kicked in, I needed both hands on the wheel to keep the car in its lane. Fun but madness.
Here's my present setup. I installed the Mini spares shim set (plus some extra shims) to align the rockers. BTW standard rockers are 1:1.25, so 1.5 rockers add only a small portion to the load. Don't forget to extrapolate the valve gaps when going to 1.5 rockers.
Only downside I see is the noise. This setup is a lot noisier than a standard head. I even was amazed by the lack of engine noise when I once had a ride with Peter Camping in his convertible.
Hans Efde

Re: Rockers!

Postby Crowmann » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Mike

How are you? Well I trust. as you read the Ruffian is running and seems to be OK head gasket wise , only 5 miles though.

In reading the cars post history it looked like it was on hg no2. My bad.

Bought some new clocks for her plus some led headlamps but other than that I need to clear some junk out the garage and make this a winter tinker project Heater and ventilation plus some mods to the doors are planned.

When she gets an mot at Paul,s Test Centre in Daventry I will make a date to call in

Regards

Michael
Crowmann

Previous

Return to Wanted