MK3 bump stops and damper brackets

Tell everybody what you want, you never know someone might have it!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MK3 bump stops and damper brackets

Postby Luckyun » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:13 am

I'm having trouble finding some rear bump stops and rear damper brackets(mine are the original bent variety) for my mk3. Every metro i try to pilfer for bump stops yields an explosion of rubber and rust! and I can't find a source for new ones. Damper brackets has anyone got a pair of the improved variety they would like to sell on?

Yours in need of help
Lucien
Luckyun

Re: MK3 bump stops and damper brackets

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Have you tried Alistair for the brackets? Else contact Alan Donowho for a stub axle mod, see his story in TMF magazine 01. The rubbers are a problem. I got a few old ones from Alistair. Perhaps an ex-Rover dealer can dig up new ones. Minispares.com is selling bump stops under p/n 21A1728, but there is no image, so it is unclear if these are the same.
Hans Efde

Postby Luckyun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks Hans I've just located a rover parts stockist that has the new rear bump stops in stock! Their number is 01823 337528 if you would like nice new ones.

Lucien
Luckyun

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Cheers for this Lucien,

I dont have these on either of my cars and need 2 sets.

I am often concerned what would happen if the bracket gave way. At least the wheel would not lock up.

Anyone got the drawings for the brackets. I know its only a flat plate, but handy none the less.

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 pm

There are drawings of the bracket and placement in TGT59. But don't forget, in the manual it is said to chop the top of the rubber block. But it's better to drill a hole in it to weaken it. It is mentioned in the text as well.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:46 pm

lol there was no mention of it in my build manual!

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 pm

No, it is a new addition from Alistair.
By the way (I haven't looked at it yet, more important things to do, still waiting for a #$%%$#@ :evil: turbo exhaust manifold gasket to complete the engine, else it will be rather difficult to get to Stoneleigh!) I wonder if it would be easier to install front bump stops on that location straight through the bottom. These cones are much easier available and come in different sizes.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 pm

I know that feeling... ie important things to do.

Decided to fit the 7 port this weekend. Turned out to be a bit of a night mare as the water boiled up and it misfired on number 4 cylinder. Same time after 3 gaskets. Usual mayonnaise in water/oil (after 5 mins). I suspect a crack or porosity in the head in 4th inlet. 4th chamber was clean as a whistle. 1,2 and 3 cylinders had carbon deposits as you'd expect. A bit annoyed with myself as I should have tried it out a couple of years ago when I bought it. But I have had a hell of a lot on. Very first time fitted though at weekend. Checked torque settings (1st stage) 25lb and (2nd stage) 50lb and all mating faces were A1. Put the 5 port back on and it was fine. No problems.

Its off back to Minisport to get it pressure tested. I hope they are going to sort it out and not give me headaches, given the timescale since I bought it.

I certainly hope the 6 year 'sale of goods' act kicks in on this.

I reckon your right about the cone bump stops. Just depends on whether theres enough thread on the bolt, given the amount of laminates there should be in that area (needs to be pretty thick, othewise bump stop wont stop, rather push through!).

Cheers,

David

manifold

Return to Wanted