Midas Gold in parts

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Gold in parts

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:39 pm

faceofdoh wrote:Stuart, you may have 4 too many Midases, but do you have enough? :D

On further inspection I have to agree, the angle of the photographs fooled me, and I'm sticking to that excuse. :oops: Would that polish back to its original burgundy - expert opinion please!

I do need another Midas, of course.

Nope you'll have to get Stan's wife round with the roller on that one, I'm fed-up with gel-coat these days, my van takes me over a month to tidy up twice a year due to oxidization.

Summer is the worst time of year for my energy levels, at least it stops me adding to my collection
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Just been for a nosey...

The car's been stored for a number of years, and was stripped for renovation, but shortly after that, interest was lost in the project.

Missing (that I know about): front hub assemblies, exhaust, one rear hub (I think), carpets, "proper" seats (it has Metro seats, I'm told, but didn't see those), and gas struts for the rear glass. Didn't notice if the rear glass had a heating element.

The lights have all been removed, and the rear light cluster connections were all rusty so were cut off. I suppose that a substantial part of the loom (at least at the back of the car) may need to be renewed; I've come across wiring in my car which I couldn't solder because of its age and deterioration.

The rear bumper has a split vertically from the exhaust "notch", which extends for about 5 inches or so. All the embedded fixings for both bumpers have rusted off and need to be replaced.

He's started to and down and fill the body seams under the car, since he had planned to give it a change of colour, including the underside. He said he has the undertrays, which I didn't see. The car appears to be spread out into several garages...

Subframes have at some stage been powder coated, and don't look too bad - certainly not perfect, but usable.

I might have forgotten some relevant details. If anyone wants to ask me about it, I'm on 07941 734545.

His parting comment to me was, "if it doesn't sell, it's going in the skip".
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Worth offering him a skip then :) they take a lot of room up in bits these cars, I should know....
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Stuart wrote:Worth offering him a skip then :) they take a lot of room up in bits these cars, I should know....

:D Possibly. However, he said there were about 80 people watching it, and it's bound to be worth more than the start bid, as Hans (I think) said.

Also, another thing I noticed; despite the ad stating it was factory built, it's on a Q plate. I was slightly disappointed by that.
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 pm

faceofdoh wrote:His parting comment to me was, "if it doesn't sell, it's going in the skip".

That would be a real shame. Maybe after the auction someone could offer him to clean out his mess and save him the trouble. Too bad there is a North sea in the way, else I would have taken it out of his hands.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 am

Hans Efde wrote:
faceofdoh wrote:His parting comment to me was, "if it doesn't sell, it's going in the skip".

That would be a real shame. Maybe after the auction someone could offer him to clean out his mess and save him the trouble. Too bad there is a North sea in the way, else I would have taken it out of his hands.

It would be a shame, but having seen it in the flesh (so to speak) I realise there's more work involved in it than I have time for. Also, I don't really have the space, if I'm honest - since the doors are off and all the glass is out, it really needs to be under cover for at least as long as it takes to refit those, and I know I would take a while to get around to doing that.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:43 am

It has a bid so looks like it will sell, it's a 600 mile round trip for me :shock:
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Not long to go now.

I sent him a message saying I'd buy the subframes and engine if he really was going to skip it. This morning, he replied that he already had an offer from a neighbour, so at least it looks like it won't be scrapped.
DavidL

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

I think the 'I'll skip it' is more encouragement to bid. If that was their best alternative they would offer it a scrap price, which let's face it, isn't a lot for a fibreglass car.
Rich

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice price Alan ;) have you got room?
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to eBay links