Questionable opinion about Q regs...............

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Questionable opinion about Q regs...............

Postby 8386nw » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Found on eBay - not sure about the coment about a "1983" convertible being properly registered and Q's arn't................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDAS-GOLD-CO ... 33a08f4a9b
8386nw

Re: Questionable opinion about Q regs...............

Postby DavidL » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:54 pm

He's quite optimistic about its value, too. I really don't think it's worth anything like that in its current condition.

It's not as if it's a Mini Marcos, after all... :lol:
DavidL

Postby ACourtney » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:40 pm

DavidL wrote:He's quite optimistic about its value, too. I really don't think it's worth anything like that in its current condition.

Well he bought it for £820.99, just over a month ago - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDAS-KIT-CAR ... true&rt=nc

That's inflation for you :roll:
ACourtney

Postby dusz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Definitely overpriced considering the interior needs a full trim.

As regards the Y-reg or Q-plate. We all know that Q was introduced for cars of indeterminate age and was applied to most kit cars and even some imports and stolen-recovered, when it was introduced until there was a backlash (because Q-plates cannot be transferred or changed) and in the end they introduced a point scheme, where if major components were carried over from the donor then the donor registration could be retained.
dusz

Postby DavidL » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 pm

ACourtney wrote:
DavidL wrote:He's quite optimistic about its value, too. I really don't think it's worth anything like that in its current condition.

Well he bought it for £820.99, just over a month ago - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDAS-KIT-CAR ... true&rt=nc

That's inflation for you :roll:

Great, that's trebled in value in a month. So, given that I've had mine for about 3 years, about 36 times as long, and it cost me £950, it must be worth about £142 quintillion by now.

Drinks are on me! :lol:
DavidL

Postby kelvink » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:47 pm

His remark regards the Q reg is utter 80110X
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 pm

I thought I'd enquire as to a further explanation about the Q reg being incorrect as he is such an expert ;) I wonder if he replies ......
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Well here it is guys and girls.........

New message from: classicminiworks (935)

Hi

After a certain year it's not possible to use the donna cars identity and they are registered as a Q reg, this has been registered before therefore having a proper registration not a Q reg

Thank

Amazing eh clearly a very knowledgeable chappy indeed. Utter utter 80110X
kelvink

Postby manifold » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

I hope he gets the asking price. Its nice to see the financial recovery is underway. :)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby ACourtney » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 am

In some ways it would be nice to see him get the asking price. Its just that, as we know all too well, our cars are greatly undervalued. Especially if you compare them with a Mini Marcos in equivalent condition.

I can see his logic, he lays it out in the description. Remember, he is coming from the Mini restoration scene and nowadays Mini owners are generally happy to pay to have things done properly as they will see a return in the value of their car.
As he lists it out, it has a 1.3 MG Metro engine - something that many Mini owners would pay around £500 for alone. It also has the 4 pot calipers, again something that Mini owners are happy to spend a couple of hundred pounds on. The car is correctly registered as a Midas and has a V5C - so thats £450 worth of IVA test avoided. He also mentions the subframes, which if in good order (it has been stood in dry storage for most of its life so they should be) would also add to the value of the car. Adding that lot together, then a realistic value should be of the order of £1200 to £1500, but is it likely to fetch even that? I think that it would need to have an MOT on it to fetch that in the current market.

This guy is a trader and will want to turn a profit. He took a risk on buying the car because there was a question mark on its ownership and it hasn't run for more than a decade. Apart from the £820.99 he paid for it on ebay, he will have paid out £25 to get the V5C and also the cost of collecting the car from Solihull. So it has probably already cost him around a grand so far. What is not clear is whether the car is a runner, or if all he has done is wash the dirt off the car since collecting it. It does seem to me that £2.5k is a bit, shall we say, optimistic.
If he has got it running then he should MOT it. The lack of interior trim shouldn't put people off, but an MOT certificate will go a long way towards removing any other doubts.
ACourtney

Next

Return to eBay links