Mk1 on Ebay

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk1 on Ebay

Postby Jon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Jon

Re: Mk1 on Ebay

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:21 pm

No V5. How do you lose one?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:No V5. How do you lose one?

Good point, I've tried a few combinations but not found it on the database. So could be a big gamble if it can't be proved that it has ever been registered.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Stuart

Postby fozzza » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am

That handbrake definitely needs adjustment. What were the early MK 1s usually registered under :?:.
Roy
fozzza

Postby ACourtney » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Unfortunately the original owner of this car did not register it properly as a Midas and the V5 did not have that vital note: REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW.
When the current owner went to put it back on the road he didn't get his evidence together beforehand and the DVLA withdrew the V5.
The car was listed by the MOC in 1990 and 1991 issues of TGT, as its then owner was a club member. So the club could have provided this evidence to support the case that the car is a Midas and has been a Midas since it was re-registered. Whether it is too late to plead the case with the DVLA, or not I don't know.
ACourtney

Postby kelvink » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:58 am

I think the bidding illustrates how the value of the Midas is being recognised and is going up steadily. £820 this morning when I just looked. Up till a couple of years ago or so £200 to £300 would be the going rate. I think the restoration jobs people are doing as seen recently at Shepton Mallet for example are getting people's interest in our marque. The lime green mk3 sold and is now in Czechoslovakia, word is getting around the globe on these future classics
kelvink

Postby benofbrum » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:22 pm

fozzza wrote:That handbrake definitely needs adjustment. What were the early MK 1s usually registered under :?:.

My very early Mk 1, as in chassis number D010000, is registered as a Midas with no model name and body type "coupe"
benofbrum

Postby miniswift » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 am

This reg belongs to me.

I sold body shell only and he tried to steal this reg from me.
DVLA contact me if I'm still the owner of this car or not. I have other body shell I will be making my car to RWD so I kept the reg.

If anyone buy this car and tried to register, the it will be a ringer.
I have informed eBay but they didn't take it off the auction.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby kelvink » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:57 am

miniswift wrote:This reg belongs to me.

DVLA contact me if I'm still the owner of this car or not. I have other body shell I will be making my car to RWD so I kept the reg.

Cheers
Atchi

Now I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of the DVLA and registration transfers..... But are you saying you "transferred" the registration ? If so it's just the registration number and (this is where I am unsure of how things work) the Midas ought to have been given a replacement registration or registered as scrapped. What actually happened to the car/chassis that the number had been allocated to before you separated it from the registration and what did you do with the registration once separated?
kelvink

Postby ACourtney » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:53 pm

miniswift wrote:This reg belongs to me.

Cheers
Atchi

Atchi,

I would be careful making comments like "he tried to steal this reg from me". Such a public accusation could lead to legal action and is the stuff of nightmares for forum administrators.

I don't know what was agreed between you and the buyer of the bodyshell when you sold it to him, but it was clear on the ebay advertisement that the car was being sold without a V5C. Therefore, there was no reason for ebay to remove the auction.

I would also point out that your plan, to transfer the registration is not legal unless you have already transferred the registration number on to a retention certificate. In which case the original vehicle would have needed a current MOT and the DVLA would have issued it with a replacement, age related,registration number. In other words the only legal way to transfer a registration number is by using the system for transferring personal number plates.

There are three parts of a vehicle's ID contained on a V5C, the registration number, the chassis number and the engine number. The V5C itself has a serial number which ties these three identities together.

The registration number can be changed, as mentioned above. The only legal requirement being that the replacement registration does not make the vehicle appear newer.

The chassis number can be changed, as in the case of a vehicle reshell such as an MG rebuilt with a heritage shell,or an accident damaged write off. The DVLA may ask for a vehicle identity inspection (not the same as an IVA), where they check chassis and engine numbers and check the paperwork and receipts to make sure that all is legal with the vehicle.

The engine number can be changed, which is probably the most common occurence. Usually, the DVLA are happy to change the engine number on the V5C so long as they are provided with a copy of a receipt for the engine. They are not too worried if the engine is a different capacity, configuration, or make, so long as it isn't stolen.

However, you cannot just transfer a V5C to a totally different car, which, it appears from your statement above, is what you seem to plan to do.
ACourtney

Next

Return to eBay links