1460 Engine

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

1460 Engine

Postby Stuart » Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Stuart

Re: 1460 Engine

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Why build it up and then not run it? Potential buyer has just got to take it on trust... :?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:Why build it up and then not run it? Potential buyer has just got to take it on trust... :?

After experiencing Micra engine power in his other car he's decided to go to a Micra engine for that car too.
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Total madness. The block is a piece of art, but it will shred the clutch, idler gears and gearbox within 50 miles.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Hans Efde wrote:Total madness. The block is a piece of art, but it will shred the clutch, idler gears and gearbox within 50 miles.

No estimate of power output, I notice. He does mention an MED clutch, though. Yet, all that expensive work and you still have an old OHV engine... :D
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Sat May 13, 2017 8:26 pm

DavidL wrote:No estimate of power output, I notice. He does mention an MED clutch, though. Yet, all that expensive work and you still have an old OHV engine... :D

I think it's for sale for half of what it cost. I think he shares your sentiments too.

Build thread here http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/inde ... 920&fr=725
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Sat May 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Stuart wrote:I think it's for sale for half of what it cost. I think he shares your sentiments too.

Thanks, that was interesting. A shame to spend all that time and money on it then decide you're scared to start and use it, in case it breaks - although if I had the amount of money to spend on an engine build that he clearly did, I'd probably have jumped straight in wth both feet too.
Build an engine in haste, repent at leisure (or something like that).

If there was unlimited space under the Midas Gold's bonnet, I'd be looking at modern(ish) DOHC engines with 5 or 6 speed boxes, or given unlimited cash, a Tesla powertrain (the weight of the batteries might be a sticking point though). Which is the main reason I'm content to stick with my old A+ engine (for now). Spending £stupid on building his 1460cc unit to stick it in a Mini, when it's relatively easy to fit a Honda B16 or similar, would not be the decision I'd make (probably).
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Reminds me a bit of my MED turbo sprint engine. I bought my blue convertible for 3500 gbp, but the 5cm pile of bills for the engine and bits was over 5000 gbp. The previous owner had no expense spared, with standard turbo pressure it was 120bhp (clocked on a rolling road), but increase the turbo pressure and it could do 160bhp. But it was madness, the heavy clutch ate away the crankshaft, the noise was deafening, fuel consumption through the roof and when floored I needed the whole road because of torque steer. It was a struggle not to end in a ditch. All this power under the bonnet caused serious heat problems, oil pressure would drop too low because the synthetic oil would get too thin (which wasn't good for the gearbox either). One day the oil burned the gasket away between the filter bracket and block. Must have been over 150degr celsius.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Tue May 16, 2017 11:16 am

DavidL wrote:
Stuart wrote:I think it's for sale for half of what it cost. I think he shares your sentiments too.

Thanks, that was interesting. A shame to spend all that time and money on it then decide you're scared to start and use it, in case it breaks - although if I had the amount of money to spend on an engine build that he clearly did, I'd probably have jumped straight in wth both feet too.
Build an engine in haste, repent at leisure (or something like that).

I can relate to that, away from cars I shoot and a few years back I was shooting competitively as well as sporting. I spent ages saving up for what was at the time a top flight rifle and when I eventually found 'the one' it was beautiful. Gorgeous tiger striped walnut, electronic trigger and blued by Purdey. It was everything I wanted at the time.

I wasn't quite as bad as the engine owner, I did shoot it. But I couldn't take it out and use it properly, I didn't dare take it out for fear of scratching it, dropping it etc. I eventually sold it because I simply couldn't face using it.
Rich

Return to eBay links