MINI MIDAS BRONZE

Please put here eBay items you have for sale, or items you've spotted. Thanks!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: MINI MIDAS BRONZE

Postby metzymotive » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:26 am

Hans Efde wrote:Parts are always much more expensive than a whole car. It would be best to find another project car that is complete and make one car of it. On the previous Yahoo forum there are pics of a grown over Bronze in Wylam, North Cumberland. Contact Johnonthetyne if you're interested. It has doors, perhaps an interior. At the look of it no bonnet. You might get it for free.
Else you end up in a "Wheeler Dealer" scheme. A cheap car that requires so much money in parts, paint, interior decoration etc. that you end up with a car that is worth Gold in bills. I suppose you'll need a budget of about 1000 pounds anyway to get it on the road again.
Well, you are not the only one. Check out these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-EwmfXYJpM

I was gonna look for another car and strip it down,ill go look for the yahoo forum now but swear i didnt see it in my searh the other night? a cheap Q plate battered/wrote off one would be perfect as long as doors etc are useable but to be honest of top of my head (im not picking it up till Sunday morning)... it needs

1) A pair of doors with windows (can get from a well known source as said above) only really need doors as can make windows out of perspex
2) A pair of rear quarter windows (can get from a well known source as said above) but i think im gonna make them out of Perspex
3) A bonnet which i can get one made from orignal mold for £180 but i think im gonna make one from scratch
4) A tailgate which from what i lead to believe is single construction of a piece of glass with lift ram attachments, again im thinking of making out of Perspex, this time industrial Polished stuff about 10mm thick for rigidity around the seals
5) A Windscreen which im led to believe from a well known source is a standard Fiat 126 item which im HOPING i can blag through my insurance glass cover which after checking has no restrictions?
6) A pair of bumpers which ill make either from scratch or using Mk2 golf GTi phase 1 donors :twisted:
7) An interior of sort But i already have a full Audi TT interior sitting in my room which im thinking of fitting, that or another set of Cobras, dash is pretty much all there but looks god awful so think im gonna fit a Seicento dash
8) A carb which IF i keep the A series in there i can source a carb easy enough, i have a HIF38 sitting somewhere :?
9) An exhaust, i have three to choose from so will be a full stainless system either way..

Mot will be soted soon enough once i have it all together, ill drop it off with my mate for him to look over in his spare time (hes an mot tester) and when straight he can put it through

I own my own bodyshop so the sprayjob/bodywork really is least of my worries... i hope to spend roughly HALF what your thinking but it will be a spare time project so no complete strictness :oops:

That video i found half an hour after winning the car and am pretty sure its the same car? it has the same rub dow marks on front wings, same gel colour, stripped down etc? the bloke saids they tried it when they had it and although alright he decided to strip it for bits for his others which were better overall so i woudnt be especially surprised if that is him

Tell me if im missing ANYTHING obvious, im honest in saying 90% of you guys are more knowledgable about these than me so will notice things im missing in actual sense or what needs doing, I have a 78 Mini Clubman estate, A 96 Mini Equinox LE and an 87 Mini city 1.4 16v project so am used to the normal minis, mostly the rust :lol:

Thankyou again, i appreciate the help

Wayne
metzymotive

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:52 am

That Youtube video is of a car imported to Holland, so I would be surprised if it would be your car. To check on the parts, download the build manual and drawings. In the manual is a partslist.
Concerning making your own parts, that would turn out in an interesting car! It might be worth checking finding a written off Midas. Usually when the shell is damaged these cars are written off very quickly and can be a great source of parts since usually the rest is undamaged or a bit of gelcoat cracking that can be repaired. I don't know of any written off Midas at the moment, but I expect the forum to help you find it.
good luck
Hans Efde

Postby metzymotive » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Hans Efde wrote:That Youtube video is of a car imported to Holland, so I would be surprised if it would be your car. To check on the parts, download the build manual and drawings. In the manual is a partslist.
Concerning making your own parts, that would turn out in an interesting car! It might be worth checking finding a written off Midas. Usually when the shell is damaged these cars are written off very quickly and can be a great source of parts since usually the rest is undamaged or a bit of gelcoat cracking that can be repaired. I don't know of any written off Midas at the moment, but I expect the forum to help you find it.
good luck

Definately isnt mine then :lol: Just Hpi'd it this morning and its down as "midas, registered 1983 A reg, 7 owners, no colour changes, not stolen, not scrapped and never been subject to an insurance total loss claim" which im pleased with :D

Got the manual the other night i THINK off here? had a quick look at the build drawings but havent had much time to look at the rest yet

The idea of making my own parts is for a number of reasons,

1) Perspex windows to make it lighter - its far from being my daily so the lighter overall the better
2) The cost, i will hopefully end up saving a bit of money (although not as much as many would think)
3) The main one, pretty much as you have said to end up with something a bit more individual

A wrote off Midas either bronze or gold would be perfect but i have been searching for last two days and cant even find a post with someone saying they have wrote theirs off so this is a slim chance but my main aim.

Wayne
metzymotive

Previous

Return to eBay links