BHF 321 X Early Mk1

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

BHF 321 X Early Mk1

Postby catgill » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm very interested in any information on early mark 1 Midas. So far all the photos on this Forum of mark 1 midas seem to look very similar to the mark2 and have a bonnet line which is completely different to my car. Mine has the headlights built into the bonnet which then hinges forward. the dash is a very simple flat panel with the 3 dials inset. Chassis plate notes that it was built in the original works near Oldham No DO 10050. registration dates from 1979/80. Any extra infor would be gratefully received
catgill

Re: BHF 321 X Early Mk1

Postby Alan D. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Hello Catgill,

I suspect your car is one of two cars altered by Richard Brabbins (now deceased). He altered the bonnets on two cars, one painted red and the the other black. In my opinion a very clever modification! He sold the moulds for the modified bonnets, with one of the cars. I think that it went to Ireland. I would dearly like access to the moulds as I would like to modify my car in the same way.

I have photos somewhere!

Your three clock dashboard, I suspect is just early Mk 1.

I've just sent you a PM!

Alan D.
Last edited by Alan D. on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Story in TGT 58. Car was built by Richard Brabbins:

Hello Hans,
I made the front mods myself. The shape is standard, but the joint is formed by jig
sawing a new separation line, inserting an aluminium sheet, laminating to both
sides, then joining the original bonnet to the original front apron. There is a new
cut below the bumper. The whole thing tilts forward on reversed parrallelogram
hinges from a Morris Marina, resting without the need for a prop. The weight and
strength are unaffected. The lower front is tied to the inner wings via metal box
section, and the hinges are mounted on these bracing pieces. It works well. I did it
many years ago. Nowadays I do more advanced moulding and have designed my own all
composite bodied GT car. No chassis, just aircraft composites, vacuum formed and
cured in my own oven.
I hope I have answered you well. Do please
let me know. Many thanks for your interest.
Regards, Richard.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Hello Hans,

Did Richard Brabbins ever send you any photos of his modification? He went on to build two unique cars call Brabinis.
Which were detailed in an issue of "Complete Kit Car".
Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 am

No he didn't send me photo's. I used the ones from Ebay for the TGT article.
Yes I have read about his home made sportscars. I bought these CKC's per back order. Interesting stuff, but he made 2 errors. a) he did not hire or find a professional designer for the design of the car and wasted a lot of time, money and material to find an acceptable shape. Which is not really stunning and looks still a bit like the Fiat X1/9 he used for inspiration and bacic layout. b) he did not use subframes for the suspension, causing a lot of suspension noise in the cabin.

I am a bit shocked to learn from you he died. I had an interesting correspondence with him and admired his enthusiasm and determination. Did CKC write about this? I think he deserves a sort of memoriam.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello Hans,

CKC, did a lovely memorial for him, that's how I learned the sad news! I'd spoken to him on a number of occasions and last spoke to him and his wife at Stoneliegh. He also had a plastic, bike engined Mini. A sad passing of a man in his early 50's I think.

Sorry Catgill for high jacking your thread! but if you need any more help ask away, that's what this forum is all about!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby catgill » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks to all for the info. i'll endeavour to post a couple of photos over the coming weeks. presently the engine and front subframe are out to replace the steering rack. Hopefully coming back together shortly unless it stays as cold here as it is just now.

There is an extensive history file with the car,which i acquired in the summer of 2009. I ahve aletter from Richard Brabbins to the then new owner in 2007 with a lot of useful info on final drive fitted to the car etc. First date of registration is Oct 1981. So I guess it all makes sense now My car is the red one.
catgill

Postby Alan D. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

The Midas world is a small one really, but this week we unearthed another Mk 1 which is for sale. This car is only about 10 miles (17 kms) from me, but none of our N.E group had ever spotted it! Photos to follow.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 pm

looking forward to seeing all these photos! The more the merrier.

One tip as always, use a decent photo hosting site like photobucket etc, that way it is easier to ensure no loss of data from a forum restore.

all the best, david
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 am

Hello Catgill,
Any chance of those photos, now that the weather has improved!

I've also PM'ed you, check your user control panel!!!

Regards Alan D.
Alan D.

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself