Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Postby rocketron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 am

Croeso! My name is Ron and live in the woods above Betws y Coed, North Wales. I'm a MSA scrutineer of some 30 years, involved with all sorts from Formula 2, BTCC, stage and road rallies, sprints and autotests. Currently, I'm a marine engineer but have been an instrument maker, vintage race car builder, lumberjack, accident assessor and when I decide to grow up, I'm going to be a grumpy old git!
I've a few Midas cars:
An early Mk1, small bib front spoiler, low down indicator/sidelamp units, fully closed front screen pillars, window winder handles that match the fuel filler cap and flat floor. chassis no .....011. Did over 80k with no probs until tosser in a Sierra wrecked nsf corner. This happened the week before the Midas factory burnt down. Ordered new front end from the new owners, but never turned up. A new front corner was made and fitted by a mad Reliant loving hippy.
A smashed Mk2, registered as wrecked in club records. This car chopped a tree at 15' off the ground, suspected impact velocity about 90 mph. Driver crawled away dazed but unhurt and then cut his little finger climbing a barbed wire fence! This is testament to Harold's thinking on energy absorption during collision. I bought it as it was about to be JCB'd into a hole. This still has salvageable "dropped" floor and doors.
A Mk2, with a "flip front", fairly bare shell but with loads of bits and bobs. Will probably get sprinted sometime.
A Mk3 coupe. Tatty but all there. This could be quick when finished.
A Mk3 convertible. GTM model with "round" corners to door glass. This is a promise made to dear wife during a visit to Corby and Harold showed us the very nearly finished prototype convertible. Love at first sight! (still think coupe is better proportioned) Eldest daughter wants it and wants it sprayed pink!

The new format is great and look forward to lots of interesting posts: especially engine swaps.
rocketron

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself