Hello

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hello

Postby DavidL » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I'm David Lees from Fife in Scotland, I built a Bronze in 1985 which I ran, off and on, for 9 years and about 100,000 miles IIRC, then sold and lost track of (it was Q284 PES/DO20241 if anyone's interested).

I joined the forum after finding it as a result of a Google search while following, bidding on, and eventually not winning, a Gold on ebay over the last few days. I'd first seen the Gold during one of my many factory visits while building my Bronze, and wishing then that I'd waited a few more months...

Well, I've never lost that urge to acquire a Gold, and my partner offered to buy me "something nice" with part of the settlement she received after a recent car accident, so I caved in and accepted her offer; unfortunately, that particular Gold was cruelly snatched from my hands in the last ten seconds of the auction.

However, I've had quite an informative time poring over the technical sections on this forum, mainly reading about all the various alternatives to the old A-series engine. It's encouraging to see what various people have come up with, given how few alternatives had surfaced in the mid nineties.

I've consoled myself with the thought that another might eventually turn up, possibly in better condition and not bearing a Q plate. One can dream...
DavidL

Re: Hello

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Welcome to the forum David, I spent loads of time being disappointed on Ebay before I picked up my Gold via a classified advert on one of the Kit Car websites.
Rich

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks Rich.

I just composed a lengthy reply, fell asleep in front of the PC, woke up 3 hours later, then tried to post my reply - only to find I'd been logged out and my carefully constructed response had evaporated...

Oh well, suffice it to say I'll continue the search for a Gold, in the hope of finding something I could get into and drive home, rather than have to load onto a trailer.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 am

Hello and welcome David, I have no doubt that there will be several mk3's come up for sale at some point this year, you've just got to keep your eyes peeled.

Sorry you missed out on the last one, I think the owner has another one, but I'm not sure of his plans on that one.

Yes it's really annoying when you type a message and then loose it, its happened to me a few times
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am

There's a black one for sale in Holland, but it needs a new engine. It's complete and licensed though, but the owner has lost confidence in the car. Contact astonmartine for details.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum David.

I hope you find everything you need in relation to Midas on here.

Doesnt AC Dodd have a Gold Mk3 Coupe for sale?

I think he mentioned it in a recent forum entry.

Might be worth giving him a PM.

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks all, for your welcoming messages.

The engineless Gold in Holland sounds interesting, but would it be a LHD one? If so, has anyone got advice about converting LHD to RHD? Can't imagine it would be too difficult, but sourcing a dashboard - how easy is that?

I presume AC Dodd is Charlie's son? The seller of the Gold I missed on ebay told me Charlie had died. When I had my Bronze, I went to quite a few shows, including Stoneleigh, and met Charlie and family a couple of times.
When I have a bit more time I'll pm astonmartine, have to go to work now!

However, I suspect that a good, currently legal, Gold may be beyond my currently available financesWhen I have a bit more time I'll pm astonmartine, have to go to work now!
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 am

Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks Stuart. That does look like what I'm after (colour too!). Is that a recent photograph?

And what would be involved in re-registering the car for the UK? Anyone know?
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am

Yes it's a recent photo I believe. Not sure on the re-import details sorry.
Stuart

Next

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself