hello

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

hello

Postby rich.84 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

hi there guys

Right i got talking to a guy with a midas over the weekend, and now im thinking of buy 1.

great little cars its on a k think is a mark1??? its tax exempt, its been of the road for a bit as its sitting in his garage.

how much would you guy think i should be looking at to pay?
rich.84

Re: hello

Postby Stuart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Rich, Welcome, your question is a bit like the "how long is a piece of string" recently Mk 1's and Mk 2's have sold for from £400 upto £2500, condition is the key to what the car is worth.

If it really is Tax-exempt that's a big bonus, worth double checking as by rights no Midas should be tax-exempt with the oldest Midas dating to 1979, the K-plate will be the donor.
Stuart

Postby rich.84 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Stuart wrote:Hi Rich, Welcome, your question is a bit like the "how long is a piece of string" recently Mk 1's and Mk 2's have sold for from £400 upto £2500, condition is the key to what the car is worth.

If it really is Tax-exempt that's a big bonus, worth double checking as by rights no Midas should be tax-exempt with the oldest Midas dating to 1979, the K-plate will be the donor.

hi there there thanks

yeah just have a look on the net and a the k reg is 1971 so it would be tax exempt. so would it make put the price up as the guy whats what top money for it from i can see a read on here.

just done a free reg check and its saying it a morris mini 1000??? im lose all ready lol
rich.84

Postby Stuart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm

If it is registered as a Morris mini 1000 then it isn't correctly registered, it really should say Midas coupe on the log-book.
Even if the original builder had managed to retain the original donor car number plate the new car (Midas) would still date from 1979 or 1980 so still wouldn't be tax exempt
Stuart

Postby ACourtney » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Stuart wrote:If it is registered as a Morris mini 1000 then it isn't correctly registered, it really should say Midas coupe on the log-book.
Even if the original builder had managed to retain the original donor car number plate the new car (Midas) would still date from 1979 or 1980 so still wouldn't be tax exempt

If the car is registered as a Morris Mini rather than a Midas this can cause problems when you come to MOT the car: The DVLA computer says it should be a Mini, but it clearly isn't and under the current regulations they can't test it.

You can apply to the DVLA to have the make and model changed, but you need evidence that the car has been a Midas for some time.
The first bit of evidence will be on the V5C: In section 3 Special Notes it should say "REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW" or "KIT BUILT/CONVERTED - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW" This is evidence that the car was re-registered at some time in the past, which may or may not be the date given in Section 4 as the date of first registration . If this date corresponds to the K-plate (1971-72), then you are okay for tax exemption. The DVLA should be able to give you the details of when the car was re-registered.
The second bit of evidence is the VIN/Chassis/Frame No, also in section 4. If this is a 7 digit number D0100?? then this is the Midas chassis number given to it by D&H Mouldings. The club can probably find evidence that ties this chassis number to the registration plate and an earlier owner.
This may be sufficient evidence, but if not then you may need a statement from a previous owner, or from a garage that had performed MOT tests on the car.

Unfortunately, in the pre-SVA/IVA days local registration offices were a law unto themselves as to whether they kept the original registration number or issued a Q-plate. Different offices also had different policies on what got changed on the V5 document, so the make and model may get changed or left as that of the donor, while the date of first registration may be left unchanged or altered to the date of re-registration.

The question of whether the car is tax exempt comes down to the date of first registration given on the V5. If you are lucky this will be 1971 or 72, corresponding to the donor. If not, and it was changed to read 1979, 80 or 81, then you are out of luck as the DVLA won't change the date now whatever evidence you can produce.

I hope this helps.

Alistair
ACourtney

Postby Alan D. » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello Rich,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a car located in Ponteland which fits this description, Would you be located in N.E. England?

With regards to the incorrect registration, I think I would seek advice from the DVLA, before committing yourself! You never know there may be a simple fix!

Added text: I see Alistair has it all covered!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby rich.84 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

hi guys,

just been back round to see the car and fella to see the log book and it has midas on there, so what year did they start making them?

im a bit lost with this the reg soo220k
rich.84

Postby mikeeskriett » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi,

As Alistair says it very much depends on the registration office at the point the car was registered. My car is on a B plate 1984 which predates contruction of the convertible by 4 or so years and my body was a mid run GTM car which put's it circa 1997-98. The V5 is correct in terms of listing it as a midas but it does date it as 1984. The parts on the car when I got it dated it as an early facelift MG Metro donor.

Major result if it's tax exempt because it will make already cheap motoring even cheaper :-)

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself