Hello all

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hello all

Postby Benb12 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello (warning - not very good at introductions!)
My names Ben, I've been in love with the Midas for a good few years now. I'm a big Mini fan too, but since my clubman estate was unfortunately written off by a cab a few weeks ago I'm now in the market for a Midas Bronze :) Wish me luck!
Benb12

Re: Hello all

Postby Stuart » Tue May 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Hello and Welcome Ben :)

Good luck, you shouldn't really need much luck, earlier in the year there were at least 2 a week on ebay, seems to have gone very quiet lately though.

You've seen the light at last ;) no more rusty Mini's
Stuart

Postby manifold » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Welcome to the forum Ben.

I hope you find what you are looking for one here. Plenty of friendly faces.

If you have any problems theres plenty of real knowledge on here. Just ask away!

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Ben!
Rich

Postby Benb12 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Yeah that must be nice to know that you won't need to replace a load of panels a few years down the line. My mini was very solid but they do rust quick. Should one be worried about the strength of a fibreglass monocoque? Do you have problems with panels cracking with the stress, like around suspension mounts etc.? Also when looking at a Midas, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Many thanks!
Benb12

Postby manifold » Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Your not going to have problems with strength.

The midas gold was MIRA crash tested. There is a big write up somewhere on it.

Several well known mass production car companies bought one as they didnt believe how strong it was.

Unlike the mini marcos cars, there is no wood/steel reinforcement worries to think about. (ie rot further down the line to cut out).

Yes you will get some character stress cracks. Maybe a bit of osmosis pimples here are there, but othewise they are very sound cars.

I hit a lamp post going round a corner once in my convertible due to a tyre blow out. The lamp post split in two. One part was 15-20 foot away from the other part (behind me!!!). My Midas just had a small crack in the wing which was easily repaired. To say it shock me up is an understatement but the car came off with hardly any issues. All depends where the impact would be I suppose but it looked after me.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 pm

They don't crack at all in normal use, if they've had a bump the gel-coat can crack, but the GRP below is usually OK unless it was a big bump. High mileage ones can wear the top front subframe mounting a bit from friction between the grp and rubber, nothing major though.

The rear subframes are prone to rusting out between the rear heelboard and subframe, it might look great on the rear-facing side, they were made from quite thin steel, replacements are no available and Mini ones are too wide, so it'll be a custom fabrication to replace.

There will be a massive difference in condition depending on if the car has been out in the sun, the sun fades the gel-coat leading to micro-blistering of the gel-coat. One that has been out of the sun could be almost like brand new.
Stuart

Postby Benb12 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the rear subframe is something worth checking then. If it's rotten should I walk away or can they be fabricated at a reasonable price? Are there any other parts that would be a nightmare/expensive to sort? I'm looking for a mark 1 or 2 by the way.

Many thanks!
Benb12

Postby Stuart » Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Fabricating a new subframe shouldn't be too tricky. If you're used to the hassle of a rusty Mini a Midas should be pretty straightforward, get one that is complete and things should be simple.

I wonder where abouts in the country you are?
Stuart

Postby Benb12 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Sounds good to me :) I'm near Maidstone, Kent.
Benb12

Next

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself