Not so proud Midas Gold convertible owner!

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Not so proud Midas Gold convertible owner!

Postby Moneypit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi All.
Recently bought and collected a white gold convertible.
It's the one that was advertised not so long ago on e-bay for £3000 :shock: and more recently on Car and Classic site.
Yep, that's the one Mr Bounce, with the nasty looking wheels!! :lol: Still there ARE 4 alloys with it but 2 crap pairs rather than a full set! :roll:
I was a little dissappointed when I saw it in the flesh (not really as described to me) but after a 150 mile trip decided to have it anyway.
I was hoping to use it over the winter and work on my Latham but we'll see.
Anyway Hi again. I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for advice in the not too distant future.
Moneypit

Re: Not so proud Midas Gold convertible owner!

Postby Rich » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum, was that the car in Wales that was running on the metric Metro wheels?
Rich

Postby wolfie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Moneypit wrote:Hi All.
It's the one that was advertised not so long ago on e-bay for £3000 :shock: and more recently on Car and Classic site.
Yep, that's the one Mr Bounce, with the nasty looking wheels!! :lol: Still there ARE 4 alloys with it but 2 crap pairs rather than a full set! :roll:
I was a little dissappointed when I saw it in the flesh (not really as described to me) but after a 150 mile trip decided to have it anyway.
Anyway Hi again. I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for advice in the not too distant future.

If your'e new to the convertible here's some useful advice from past experience, keep a towel with u because if it rains you'll need it on your right leg....just one of the little 'quirks' but if TVR and Lotus can get away with it then why not our significantly cheaper little motors :lol:
wolfie

Postby Moneypit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Rich wrote:Welcome to the forum, was that the car in Wales that was running on the metric Metro wheels?

Yep.That's the one.Didn't realise they were metric though.Already been looking for replacements but with 4'' pcd so better check what's on!
Moneypit

Postby Moneypit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:26 pm

wolfie wrote:
Moneypit wrote:Hi All.

If your'e new to the convertible here's some useful advice from past experience, keep a towel with u because if it rains you'll need it on your right leg....just one of the little 'quirks' but if TVR and Lotus can get away with it then why not our significantly cheaper little motors :lol:

You might have something there!
The boots got a pool of water where the spare wheel goes and water both sides under the front carpets :cry:
And this in a car that's been 'Dry stored' :?
Moneypit

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:34 am

That looked like a really nasty car, lots of TLC needed. I hope you got it for scratch. Was the blue metallic one sold? That would have been a terrific car. Concerning water leakage in a Midas, I had both of my coupees watertight and my Convertible is almost weatherproof as well. A few minor items as a weatherseal on top of the window frame and closing the holes in the brake/clutch mounting plate will make it 100% dry. So no excuses for a wet interior.
Hans Efde

Postby MrBounce » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 am

Nothing like a good challenge is there? Nice to see you here, even if your wheels are nasty! :lol:
MrBounce

Postby Rich » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:06 am

Moneypit wrote:
Rich wrote:Welcome to the forum, was that the car in Wales that was running on the metric Metro wheels?

Yep.That's the one.Didn't realise they were metric though.Already been looking for replacements but with 4'' pcd so better check what's on!

Ah, a friend enquired about it while it was on Ebay and was told he'd let it go for £1500.

Wheels aren't a major problem, Metro Turbo wheels are cheap at about £10 each, you just need to make sure you have the right nuts if they don't come complete. The PCD isn't different between the metric and imperial wheels, just the diameter and width.

Waterproofing is one step to take, but so is giving the water that does get in somewhere to go, drain holes are the way to go...
Rich

Postby Moneypit » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Hans Efde wrote:That looked like a really nasty car, lots of TLC needed. I hope you got it for scratch. Was the blue metallic one sold? That would have been a terrific car. Concerning water leakage in a Midas, I had both of my coupees watertight and my Convertible is almost weatherproof as well. A few minor items as a weatherseal on top of the window frame and closing the holes in the brake/clutch mounting plate will make it 100% dry. So no excuses for a wet interior.

Hey up! Go easy there!
Mind you, I used to drive a Dutton Leggera so I'm probably no judge of what's nasty and what's acceptable :lol:
I don't know about the blue one, just hope it sold for a lot more than this did!
Hopefully I'll sort out all the little niggles, though the list is long and probs not so little.
Moneypit

Postby Moneypit » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 pm

MrBounce wrote:Nothing like a good challenge is there? Nice to see you here, even if your wheels are nasty! :lol:

Thanks.Certainly going to be that alright!
Can't even get it taxed as engine been changed for 1275 and registered as 998.
Got to treck to Notts to sort it there.
Moneypit

Next

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself