Evening all

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Evening all

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:45 am

Maphet wrote:Thanks David and Hans for all the really helpful tips. I should have said, it's the rear ones. All the rebound buffers on ebay seem to be for the front. Am I missing something?

The rear ones on the Metro have P/N FAM4333. In the past I bought similar ones from Minispares.com: http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx? ... 495&title= This is a good price, there is someone on Ebay selling them for 12.90!

As David said they fit behind the suspension arm.

Conversion to springs is dead simple. Just get the right parts (SPAX has a good set damper/spring, especially made for the Midas) and drill the holes through the top of the turret. Only snag are the coilover brackets that bolt to the rear arm. It would be interesting to find out where GTM used to have them made. This company still must have the mould where the parts sit in prior to welding. Else we have to start thinking about making our own.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 am

Hans Efde wrote:
Maphet wrote:Thanks David and Hans for all the really helpful tips. I should have said, it's the rear ones. All the rebound buffers on ebay seem to be for the front. Am I missing something?

The rear ones on the Metro have P/N FAM4333. In the past I bought similar ones from Minispares.com: http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx? ... 495&title= This is a good price, there is someone on Ebay selling them for 12.90!

As David said they fit behind the suspension arm.

Conversion to springs is dead simple. Just get the right parts (SPAX has a good set damper/spring, especially made for the Midas) and drill the holes through the top of the turret. Only snag are the coilover brackets that bolt to the rear arm. It would be interesting to find out where GTM used to have them made. This company still must have the mould where the parts sit in prior to welding. Else we have to start thinking about making our own.

I believe the correct English term is "jig" but I'm a smarta**e. :D And I can't speak ANY Dutch.

However, I agree. My rear shock absorber brackets are very rusty and not at all reassuring to look at.
DavidL

Postby manifold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:48 am

I believe that if you want to go use factory parts the extended stub axle idea ala what Stuart and Alan designed between them must be the best way to go.....and there does seem to be a bit of demand for shocker brackets.

Time for some Midas owners to put their hands in their pockets...then they will get Mini Marcos prices ;).
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 pm

faceofdoh wrote:I believe the correct English term is "jig" but I'm a smarta**e. :D And I can't speak ANY Dutch.

Yep you're right. Problem is that in Dutch there is only 1 word for it, which is "mal" so it is a common mistake I make.
Hans Efde

Postby Maphet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 pm

I believe that if you want to go use factory parts the extended stub axle idea ala what Stuart and Alan designed between them must be the best way to go.....and there does seem to be a bit of demand for shocker brackets.

I think I saw the precise dimensions needed to get them made up somewhere, but seem to have lost it. So, if I had a pair of these made up, is there a vehicle which has similar suspension units that I could find at breakers yard? I'm not rich enough to be buying new shocks all round while reconditioning the rest of the car I'm afraid. (It appears that there is a hole already drilled for shocks in about the right place. Does this need reinforcing or do the top of the units just bolt straight in?
Maphet

Postby Maphet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Well, the poor thing just sat all day in a variety of thunderstorms and drove home through another thunderstorm. She started first time, the single speed wipers struggled gamely on the outside and the single speed heater blower (The resistors were simply coils of rust) struggled gamely on the inside and allowed some forward vision (and eventually pretty good demist after about five miles). More importantly, none of the electrics fizzled, she ran cleanly even after swooshing through puddles and everything electrical that I had fixed stayed fixed. I can't say it was the most fun I have ever had, and it was a slightly soggy experience, but that's the big test for electrics passed...

All in all, it is a very different experience to a Scimitar, but I'm not sure how much this has to do with doing it up as I use it. The suspension is definitely a little low, and, as I can't find any information on dampers you might find in a breaker's yard, I have invested in a hydragas pump for now.
Maphet

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Maphet wrote:

I think I saw the precise dimensions needed to get them made up somewhere, but seem to have lost it. So, if I had a pair of these made up, is there a vehicle which has similar suspension units that I could find at breakers yard? I'm not rich enough to be buying new shocks all round while reconditioning the rest of the car I'm afraid. (It appears that there is a hole already drilled for shocks in about the right place. Does this need reinforcing or do the top of the units just bolt straight in?

I've got some low mileage MG Metro front shocks you are welcome to, I've also got a pair of rear coilovers as per the freebie section. If you are going to Stoneleigh there wouldn't be any worries about postage either.
Rich

Postby Maphet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 pm

I've got some low mileage MG Metro front shocks you are welcome to, I've also got a pair of rear coilovers as per the freebie section. If you are going to Stoneleigh there wouldn't be any worries about postage either.

That would be absolutely fantastic, thank you very much. As far as I understand, that means I would just have to find brackets or have them made up. The extended rods at the back look like a neat idea and not to hard to make up, but I am not quite sure what extra mounting is needed at the front.

I'm not sure if I am going to Stoneleigh, but I would be delighted to either collect or cover all the costs of postage if you are far from me. Are you sure you don't want something for them?

Cheers,

Matt
Maphet

Postby Rich » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 am

Maphet wrote:

That would be absolutely fantastic, thank you very much. As far as I understand, that means I would just have to find brackets or have them made up. The extended rods at the back look like a neat idea and not to hard to make up, but I am not quite sure what extra mounting is needed at the front.

I'm not sure if I am going to Stoneleigh, but I would be delighted to either collect or cover all the costs of postage if you are far from me. Are you sure you don't want something for them?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

The top mounting at the front is simply a drilled hole in the fibreglass, the lower mounting is here.

The rear mountings are again a drilled hole for the upper mounting, lower mountings as you say will need finding or making. I looked at turning the rear pins as well but discounted it when I added up everything that could go wrong, you'll also need to chop your rear subframe ends off which essentially removes the section the hydrolastic spheres fit into. Unless you have access to a plasma cutter this is a frame off job with cutting discs.

The coil overs are goosed but they will get you rolling and can probably be exchanged/reconditioned by AVO, personally I fitted Protech units which allow me to adjust the height.

You are more than welcome to pick up, however I'm on the East Devon coast which is a long way for most people.
Rich

Postby Maphet » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Rich,

Well I used the hydragas pump that I bought and it has utterly transformed the car. I'm much happier with it now, but would still like to take you up on the offer of the suspension units as they will clearly need replacing sooner rather than later and that would be a good time to swap everything around. I'm still not sure about Stoneleigh, as I have only just entered this particular world, but I may well give it a shot if I get her into suitable condition for that sort of distance. As you say, the East Devon coast, while very beautiful, is a bit of a trip as I am in Sussex. As such, is it ok to wait and see if I am inspired (and fixed enough) to visit this event?

Thanks,

Matt
Maphet

PreviousNext

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself