Hello from Black Rattle

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hello from Black Rattle

Postby Dawesy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Hello,

My name is Mark and my I own a Midas Gold Coupe (Black Rattle). I have owned the car for over 3 years, but fell in love with the marque when I tried to chase one down a dual carrageway many years ago, with I think at the time Harold Dermott at the wheel!

I have completely rebuilt the car (bit of a running restoration) and use it every day for my 50 mile commute. I promise in the fullness of time that I will write more on the restoration, but at the moment, my pressing need is for tyres. Falken seem to have withdrawn 165/60R13's. Tyres of similar diameter are 185/55R13 and 155/65R13. My concern is that the 185/55's will foul the front wheel arches on full lock. Can anyone comment?

As an alternative, has anyone tried 175/50R13. There are several premium branded suppliers of this tread pattern as I think the Mini enthuiasts use them. Its a bit small in diameter, but should fit.

Mark
Dawesy

Re: Hello from Black Rattle

Postby manifold » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

I would be interested in your story of your rebuild.

I have also had a similar story about the withdrawal of the falken tyre too so would be very interested to hear what size tyres are currently freely available and used by other members. I think Alan said that he uses a large tyre which doesnt rub.

Theres a calculator here that works out rolling radius http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum, yes I've used a different size of tyre to everyone else! I have no problem with rubbing at all and can thoroughly recommend them. They are continental 195X45. They are fitted to 5 1/2 wide rims.This tyre size was obviously not available at the birth of the Mk3, but if they had been available. I bet Harold would have used them. It's just a pity that he didn't have a nice twin cam engine with fuel injection and a five speed box as well! Hope this helps, be brave do something different!

Alan D.
PICT0010-1[1].jpg
PICT0010-1[1].jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
PICT0012-1[1].jpg
PICT0012-1[1].jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:26 am

how much are they alan?

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:34 am

Hi David,

I think they were about £260 for four, fitted. They don't seem to be showing any wear!

I also think that they look the "Dog's Danglies". Can we say that sort of thing on tis posh forum!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 am

I am sure a little banter isnt bad. I hope its not too posh! Were all spanner bashers arent we ? :).

Thats not too bad for a low profile tyre.

Where did you get them from? Was it a local supplier. Whats the numbers on the side of the wall (model type)

Cheers!

manifold

Postby Alan D. » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello David,

I can't give you any numbers at the moment as my Midas's are all tucked up in my garages for the winter! The tyres just came from a local supplier, which I find easier and cheaper to use. Normally people are cost aware when they buy tyres and I find that using the local man is cheaper than say the big name Mini suppliers and their profit margins.

I've heard of another large section tyre. I think there brand name is something like Kuno or something like that, but if you fancy 215 X 50 -13's. the look very good. You could fit those to a much wider wheel, in order to get your 180 bhp onto the tarmac! I think I saw them on the Mini forum Z Cars garage. It's a person building a Vtech 450 bhp Z cars Mini (drool). I guess he might need a bit of a tyre for that beast!

In my day when you fitted oversize tyres, you had a bit of a bulge in your sidewall, just as you see on my pictures! But today the fashion seems to be for a straight almost stretched sidewall! I don't know which is correct. I do know that the Continentals are a much better quality tyre than the Falkens which they replaced. plus the handling was much improved!

I've added another photo, maybe you can blow it up to get the numbers.

Sorry, Black Rattle we seem to be stealing your thread, but I hope it's of interest!

Alan
Attachments
PICT0009-1[1].jpg
PICT0009-1[1].jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Cheers Alan,

Thanks for that.

Apologies for nipping in on your introduction Mark.

manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Mark, I'm now using 165/65R13 on my Gold. They just brush the front mud flaps on lock but nothing to worry about. I didn't want low profiles as it rides hard enough already. The speedo is now just about spot on.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm

I once used Toyo 175/60 R13 tyres on my Gold coupe. These will hit the body under heavy cornering. I am now using 175/50 R13 Bridgestones. They are great, but I think they are no longer sold. No worry, in the Mini scene almost every garage will sell you Yokohama's in 175/50 size.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself