HELLO MIDAS CLUB/MEMBERS

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

HELLO MIDAS CLUB/MEMBERS

Postby AllanH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Midas Club !

Am delighted to advise that I’m joining you (and have a car – yes, a Midas, too !)
See previous new joiner Maphut’s “hello” on the new joiners forum a short while back. T’was he who got me into this !
We work at the same place and when he turned up at work in this charming little yellow sports car and me being an ex vehicle development engineer (had a nice Marcos 3L too ages back) , I was intrigued. Have to say, was really taken with the car and Maphut naturally encouraged my interest leading ultimately to him pointing me to the Mk 3 convertible recently offered by Steve Crowley (Essex) for sale – bought and brought home the other day.
Background to the car : apparently bought by Steve from Pastiche (Rotherham) in 1991 as a works part-built kit. Steve since did a lot of work to get it to its present state before he had to mothball the project in his garage where it remained untouched until circumstances required him to sell it. It’s all pretty complete mechanically with lots of new or rebuilt parts/assemblies, lots of body work has been completed but some detail (windows/door panels etc need completing).
Just got it home last Saturday (4/8 with Maphut’s kind help and welcome company) and to date have spent time getting the bonnet, boot lid and hard top safely out of harm’s way – plus made an inventory of everything that Steve kindly provided to go with the car. There are some significant items still to source : seats, seat belts, decent wheels (and tyres) , soft top and tonneau. Probably lots of smaller stuff (but it’s detail bits I think). Have to say that am delighted with the car: body is immaculate, finished in a glorious strong Ford red (I just love the colour, always have liked red cars). Other (first) impressions about the rest are that Steve has done a nice job of putting it all together mechanically – but I may need to go back to him to consult on some of the harness as this looked a bit of a challenge when I first saw it.
Ok : today, first real effort on the car : cleared the interior of lots of loose bits, hovered it all out – and polished the body ( I know, it’s just me!). Most of the instrument binnacle and dash trim was pretty tatty now with the foam base having hardened to dust so stripped most of that area out and started to look at the wiring/harness/electrics etc. Looks like I have a fair job to get this up to a good, safe standard and may well ask for advice/guidance from you folk (Maphut has already said what a helpful and welcoming group you all are). Found working with the doors fitted a bit restrictive in our not wide garage so these are off as is the roll bar – now the interior is much easier to access and work in – just as well as it looks like I’ll be spending a fair bit of time in there !
Looking forward very much to talking with and meeting you before too long – must go now, garage and jobs call. Cheers

Allan
AllanH

Re: HELLO MIDAS CLUB/MEMBERS

Postby manifold » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Allan. Welcome to the Midas Cars Forum.

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby kelvink » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Yay! good to hear of another convert to the little Midas. I have to say though the Marcos still is my all time fave kit and one day I'll get myself one of those too. The Midas though is such a great little car. Hopefully we'll meet up some time there's quite a few events through the year to partake in There's Donnington comming up very soon though not too sure if I'll be at that as it clashes with Silverstone and some track time there in another awsome car I'm lucky enough to drive :twisted:

I'm hoping to maybe get to Castle Combe in my Midas for the Mini Action Day which would be good for you as it's in the South. When I've got mine all sorted the way I want it I'm hoping to maybe get a good group running down here along the South Coast meeting up at countless gatherings we could all take part in or simply the occasional pub meet.

Good to see you joining us all Alan and looking forward to hearing more about your Midas

Oooh yes there's the Rare Breeds show at Haynes Motor Museum in September too
kelvink

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Allan!

AllanH wrote:...and polished the body ( I know, it’s just me!)...

No. It's NOT just you. :D
DavidL

Postby cortezkeeper » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Allan, Welcome - the car will keep you out of mischief for ages !! Plenty of advice and help around and Alistair is able to supply spares. Upcoming gatherings include Haynes Rare Breeds and Castle Combe Mini Action Day. Club sec Tony Moss has full details - hope to see you at one or the other, with or without the Mighty Midas.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby AllanH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Really look forward to meeting some of you soon.
Will get some pics together and up to see before too long - some good, some so-so.
cheers

Allan
AllanH

HELLO MIDAS CLUB/MEMBERS

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm up for the run up the south coast depending on where you start the run. I really want to have a little drive in convoy with a few other midas cars
b1zbaz

HELLO MIDAS CLUB/MEMBERS

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry format to say welcome to the forum Allan h
b1zbaz

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself