my first midas

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: my first midas

Postby kelvink » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 am

limjamrace wrote:Mean't to say that you have a nice Blackie dog there in your picture..
If i wern't for the rear sculptured section i could get my two GSD's in the back!

That's Evie who's quite particular about her cars and where she sits in them.... (she's the one on the rear cover of the latest club magazine not wearing a hat)

I recently got my self a bigger compressor which I had to fetch back from Didcot, a 2 hour drive, being quite a large unit it was a bit too large to fit in the boot of my Picasso with the parcel shelf in.

Now anyone who knows Evie will also know that the rear parcel shelf of my Picasso is HERS. So we had a two hour drive home where Evie was determined to let the compressor know it was intruding on HER PLACE ....

I did put her beloved parcel shelf in the following day on the shorter trip to my workshop, which she appreciated but it did mean she was a tad more cramped....

Getting back to the Midas. The rear 'seat' can be simply made into a flush floor by using the rectangular back rest as a false floor which fits perfectly over the well/s which form the rear seat base. The chances are that you'll find the lower edge of the seat back is actually fixed with a hinge and it simply folds flat. Result, a happy dog and a hidden storage box for odds and ends too, just like a parcel shelf only lower ;)
kelvink

Postby limjamrace » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52 am

She is so beautiful!

Guess it is the security of her space when travelling.My two GSD's insist on sleeping in the Transit Connect whilst at work..will not settle in the unit.
My Midas doesn't seem to have the interior that you describe..I'll put some pictures on my facebook page later (Llewellyn Imp Motorsport) to show what is missing(?).
Doesnt matter i suppose if the car is going to be used in competition.
The seats (front?) need replacing as the drivers is full of fag burns and bum location doesn't seem too good ..Can see me ending up in the missing door card area when going around corners.

Be glad when my sub tenant removes his USA truck and things so i can start taking it to bits without needing move it out of his way.
limjamrace

Postby kelvink » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:55 pm

She's completely bonkers. What are GSDs?

Had a quick look to see the Midas pics on Facebook and can't see the rear seat photos. Looks reasonably tidy car though, well the body does at least. Definitely a Mk1 with Mk2 bonnet
kelvink

Postby limjamrace » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Having trouble posting anything on FB at present..Going off to work in a moment so will take fresh pictures of interior ,or what is left of it..Trying to dry myself out after a session over the fields with our dogs..German Shepherd Dog =GSD's.

I wondered why there is a bulge in the bonnet longitudial and not transverse to clear the SU dashpot.
Don't think the carb is standard as it is rather big..Maybe a single 175..The inlet manifold is from Mitcham Motors..

What wheels did the Midas have as standard..I have one new Minitor replica minilite as the spare and 4 mistral on the hubs..all 5 x 12..Really need 13" for track use or get limited to yokohama A510 in 12" guise.
limjamrace

Postby kelvink » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I meant to take a photo of my rear seat well today for you David. Only I forgot to, sorry.

D for dog.... I could only think of Dane, Doberman or Daschund

The bump on the Mk2 bonnet is to clear the Oil filler cap mainly as it was found that it would cause star cracks in the gel coat of the original Mk1 bonnet. They also added a bit more height to the curve too.
kelvink

Postby limjamrace » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the information...Are we the only two members on this forum by any chance!!

Something i was talking about to my brilliant metalworker machinist come what may friend this afternoon is ...Why on earth did someone leave this car outside for 9 years unused!!
In the unexposed areas like behind the rubber bumpers nice wet shiny looking paint is to be found..I am impressed by the body finish or what was ..
My friend thinks the factory used air bags during/after the gel coat and pigment application to stop the GRP ripple.
limjamrace

Postby manifold » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 pm

No...some of us are just lurkers. Lol.

I suspect they used tissue on the back of the gelcoat to stop print-through, rather than vacuum bagging, on the early cars. I thought they only did that with the floor of the mk3 convertibles for stiffness.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby limjamrace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 pm

I use tissue after a layer of resin not gel coat as gel coat gives the dreaded staring.
Was told this was the way to do it by the supplier of GRP wares.
In fact i give it two laters of tissue..

No matter how much pigment i put in i have never matched such a finish of brilliant shiny white.

The USA 1957 Ford truck guy says he is moving everything out this Saturday so i am thinking of giving a running report of Number 1 or is it number 4 chassis.
I am a bit worried as i will not be at my unit then and he says his Banger racer mate is pulling all his stuff out ..With the aid of a fork lift truck.
limjamrace

Postby kelvink » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 pm

The Midas always was very good when it came to the GRP it's particularly good when you think how old each car is and the quality shows.

I had a hunt around for my rear seat back and then remembered I don't actually have one in my car so took some photos from another car which has the folding rear seat back I mentioned. Though you may have sussed it's in a bit of a state currently. It's also got the original wheels which you were asking about which are Cosmics but they're 12" and I think you may have been asking about 13"

kelvink

Postby limjamrace » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks for the photos Kev..

I think i'm going to be in a task to find mk3 (?)Cosmics..
Its all heading towards a competition career for the Midas at present i reckon..
Saw the Ford F100 truck guy again and he is clearing out his stuff over THIS weekend so i be able to set the car up for analysis next week..lol

More good news is that another unit has a selection of sturdy metal tables which need to be moved out ..I can sit the Midas on one of them to work on all professional like.
limjamrace

PreviousNext

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself