I have very sad Midas!

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

I have very sad Midas!

Postby Sailor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:29 pm

In a moment of madness I bought my car on the spur of the moment. About the only thing I knew about the marque was that it was basically Mini running gear (well vaguely) in a glass fibre body shell. Due to my basic idleness, lack of motivation and probably fear of spending too much money it has stood forlornly parked outside my house for years. Have read of other club members valiant and often very successful efforts to restore their cars over the last few years with envy and feelings of shame over my own inertia. As I have to finish the restoration of another car this year, not a Midas, I will be obliged to then start on the Midas next year. So as my knowledge is at best sketchy on how to turn my old wreck (chassis 00003) into a runner fit for the road I give fair warning that in due course I will be begging for information on how to do it from wiser heads than mine. Please no sticks and stones over my shameful inertia - this is the sole province of my wife who has earned a PhD in the subject. Words of encouragement or info on literature available to beg borrow or steal that might help will however be welcome!
Sailor

Re: I have very sad Midas!

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:08 pm

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and full to the brim of helpful people I did a rebuild a couple of years ago with a lot of help from members of this forum if it was not for the help on here it may never have happened good luck with your resto and you have taken the first step so your halfway there
b1zbaz

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm

1) assess the conditon of a) the mechanicals, b) the body, c) electrics, d) the interior.
2) make an Excel sheet with jobs to do and sign off boxes.
3) If possible get the car roadworthy and improve it with small steps.
4) make a schedule. when is the car ready. f.e. Stoneleigh 2014 or Stoneleigh 2015 Plan your work, some many weeks for this, so many weeks for that.
5) make a budget per item. Spread it over several years if necessary (new seats and carpets can be done as a last item).
Along the way you get more ideas of find more problems. Put it on your list and prioritize. What must be done immediately, what is not important at the moment. Now you don't know where to start but if you make an overview with jobs to do and which one should be attacked first, you will see it will become clear.
Hans Efde

Postby Sailor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks for the feedback BIzbaz and Hans, think my excel sheet is going to be very long!
Sailor

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Sailor wrote:Thanks for the feedback BIzbaz and Hans, think my excel sheet is going to be very long!

The longer the list, the prettier the car will be! Good luck in becoming a proud owner.
Hans Efde

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself