cortez query

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: cortez query

Postby ACourtney » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi Jin and welcome to the forum,

I can confirm that there is no steel laminated into the structure of the Cortez, or any Midas for that matter. The only parts that give us rust concerns are the subframes. The rear ones, in particular seem designed to trap road salt. That is why I have started getting good subframes galvanized to give them a few more decades of life, hopefully.

In answer to your question about the Excelsior, the structure is beefed up with a thicker floor and sill sections. That's the great great thing about GRP, you can just add a few more layers to increase the strength where you want it. In the case of the Excelsior that includes extra core-mat in the floor to increase its thickness - more glass means more strength, whilst more thickness makes for more rigidity.
The Gold convertible has a foam sandwich floor for the same reason. The foam is lighter than core-mat, but harder to get the construction right.

Hopefully you will get a car soon and find out just how great they are to drive.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Postby Jin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 pm

nice one, chers for the info, good to see a clever structure can be made without resorting to adding steel in.

i had a feeling that the subframes may be the weak point (i remember them from my mini days) but i feel ok with them since they are not part of the car strucure so o speak, just an add on, galvanising would be a great idea

if mr benofbrum ever gets back to me i may have a car soon, the chap who wants my Quantum took it for a spin today (scared the you know what out of me) i forgot that the clutch is like an on-off switch, i get used to it but he seemed keen enough, so watch this space
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Jin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:18 am

just out of interest, were these cars offered in gel coat?

cheers
Jin

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 am

Jin wrote:just out of interest, were these cars offered in gel coat?

Yes they all came in a coloured gel coat.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:48 am

I see your Quantum's up for sale now Jin. Have you found yourself a Cortez?

I 100% agree with you on the Q plate thing too. I've always been very proud to say it's a kit and I built it myself when people have asked me how come my cars have a Q plate. (the Midases though obviously I've not built totally myself but by the time I'm finished rebuilding them....) The Ginetta has a K though but that's for the tax advantage otherwise I'd have been perfectly happy with a Q on that too.
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:16 am

Stuart wrote:
Jin wrote:just out of interest, were these cars offered in gel coat?

Yes they all came in a coloured gel coat.

Nothing wrong with it when properly stored. Mine has always been garaged with a cloth cover. I waxed it yesterday for a big show coming Sunday and it still looks like new apart from a little bit of battle damage. The shell is now 20 years old.

Hans Efde

Postby b1zbaz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Hans your car looks awesome in them pics well done
b1zbaz

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:40 pm

What are those wheels, Hans?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Jin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi guys, no cortez yet, I've had one or 2 offers but im specifically after one in gel coat preferably in white, so the search continues, just thought id get the ball rolling with the Quantum, if anyone fancies a swap let me know.
Jin

Postby Stuart » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:43 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:What are those wheels, Hans?

TSW Blade in Metro fitment, no longer available new.
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself