Another Cortez wanted thread!

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Another Cortez wanted thread!

Postby moon127 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 am

Another new member looking for a Cortez, it seem's a few weeks too late as one car just got snapped up.

If anyone knows of any other cars out there please get in touch.

I've had kit cars since about 2002, first a GTM K3 with a 1.4 GTi engine, then in 2003 a GTM Libra 1.8 VVC which I ran for 8 years as an only car for road and track covering some 48000 miles, and more recently I have had the one off Talon Sportscars K3R, a GTM K3 which I converted to MEMS3 VVC, welded in shock mounts etc and caged for track days - great on track but not for road use anymore with rock hard suspension and harnesses.

In that time I also had a Rover 100 with a 1.8 none VVC out of a TF and what a hoot it was till it rotted away. I can't help but think that a Cortez/2+2 would make an awesome daily driver and fast road car while allowing me to tinker and improve as all good kit car owners should - hence putting the feelers out now for the winter project.

Gareth
moon127

Re: Another Cortez wanted thread!

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Welcome to the club Gareth. Did you have the green Libra with the modded nose that was shown in CKC many years ago?
Good luck with hunting down your Cortez. Not many built, but you never know.
Hans Efde

Postby moon127 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks Hans,

I had a red Libra, chassis 86 if I remember rightly, it has changed hands a few times since then.

I do know the guy who had the green Libra with modded nose and TF (if I remember correctly) lights though.

My Libra after 8 years and 48000 miles (and a darn good gelcoat polish)

K3:
moon127

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Awesome cars Gareth. That Libra looks like an extremely cool ride to me. I would have kept it until the world had run out of petrol. Interesting to see what you are going to do with a Cortez. I hope you find one soon.
Hans Efde

Postby moon127 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Just to let everyone know that I've placed a deposit on David's black Mk4/Cortez after a very long day trip yesterday cross country from Suffolk and while I was there of course joined the club.

I should return with the estate car and trailer in a few weeks time to collect the car and spares, I'm already having kittens about transporting that spare screen ;)

Looking forward to putting into service as my daily car for the train station commute to help prioritise the ToDo list.

Hope to meet some more of you as my new car journey unfolds, Stoneleigh next year is going to be complicated with GTMOC, TeamGTM and Midas Owners pitches available to me!!
Gareth
moon127

Postby Jin » Mon May 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Welcome to the club and welcome to Cortez ownership
,.looking at your GTMs it will be good to see your plans for the Midas
Look forward to seeing it mate
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby moon127 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Finally got to take the car trailer down to Bristol on Saturday to collect the Midas.

So very sad that David passed away before I could get back to collect it but I am not looking forward to pressing it into service as daily driver while it is a work in progress.

With that in mind, first order of business at the weekend will be to replace the leaking master cylinder (fluid leaking through servo and down pedal into footwell. Fortunately after a decade of GTM ownership I have a spare servo and a new master cylinder on the shelf ready to build up.

I am anticipating a weekend head first in the footwell muttering!!
moon127

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Can't wait to see progress on this car. One of the prettiest Cortezes around.
Hans Efde

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself