New To MIDAS ownership - XWC 296 S

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

New To MIDAS ownership - XWC 296 S

Postby mfdriver » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi
I bought the Midas bronze that was placed on the forum recently. Included in the purchase price was delivery from Nottingham to Salisbury. It duly arrived on Wednesday 24th September and after refitting front and rear panels, indicators and headlight surrounds it went for MOT on 30th September. Apart from the garage having to swap the indicator/hazard units round and find a bulb for the rear foglight switch, it passed with flying colours. I understand that it had been off the road since 1991 (DVLA records confirm). Someone had taken good care of it.Can anyone beat that for good fortune?
I am currently re-building the rear suspension and will set about the front suspension (adjustable shocks and Hi-Los) shortly.
It is White with grey interior and has a 998 cc engine bought in 1987 as a factory refurbished unit. All seems to run well and I look forward to getting it on to road when I can get to grips with DVLA new unhelpful system.
I have also ordered two new gas struts.
It has Cobra "sporting" reclining leather seats - the seat squab cover on the passenger seat has some stitching pulled out and a small tear. I was quoted £225 by a local firm to repair - I am keeping an eye on eBay.
The fibreglass is grubby with starring in severaL places, I guess it will need rubbing down and filling before a respray - that[img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img]'s for the future!
Since 1978 I have owned a Mini-Marcos and two Cox GTM's so I am used to banging my head on the roof!
If there is ever a gathering in the Wilts/Hants/Dorset area I would be pleased to attend.
Malcolm
Attachments
WP_20140910_001.jpg
MIDAS before delivery
WP_20140910_001.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6730 times
mfdriver

Re: New To MIDAS ownership - XWC 296 S

Postby kelvink » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Excellent!

I'm just down the road near Blandford so we will have to meet up. I'm currently rebuilding my Mk2 and I'm doing some lightweight seats for it. I'm over 6' tall and don't have any problems fitting in the car I've just had my Gold Coupe out on the circuit at Castle Combe too so can confirm I fit in with a skid lid on too!

That's 2 more reasonably local new Midas owners I've come across this week
kelvink

Postby mfdriver » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:47 pm

I too am 6'3 and want to get my Midas up to track day standards as a long term project. Would be happy to meet up some time for an exchange of views -is there not a local Midas owners noggin and natter type arrangement, as we have in Downton with Mini Cooper Register?
Malcolm
mfdriver

Postby kelvink » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:09 am

Aha! Even better still, another Midas motorsport wannabe, this is getting really good as there's several of us so I can see a Team Midas being a strong possibility for sure now.

There are more Midas out there than it would appear to be at first but most owners seem to be a tad bashful with many a Midas hidden in a bush or hedge. Still those of us who do get out and about do tend to be rather keen on them and eager to meet up with other fans of the marque. You just missed out on a great day at Castle Combe last weekend but not to worry it will be on again in a year's time!

I am keen to get out and about with any Midas and whilst I am busy ripping my Mk2 appart for some significant mods I've gotten myself a Gold Coupe to enjoy on the road till that one gets finished. We don't have the luxury of any specific venues for regular meets but anyone's welcome to drop by my workshop when they are near Blandford Forum. I presume from your comments that you frequent the DEWS venue, I've not been along but ought to get on up there sometime.
kelvink

Postby mfdriver » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Send me a pm with your contact details and workshop location and will sort out a meet up. Next MCR gathering is at the Bull in Dowton (by the traffic lights) at 8 pm on 15th October
Malcolm
mfdriver

Postby kelvink » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:42 pm

PM sent
kelvink

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself