Midas Gold Coupe 1987

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Gold Coupe 1987

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 pm

In what way is the car extremely built?

It was built to the sort of standard a track car would be built, hard suspension, nylatron bushes in the suspension, lowered ride height, gearchange short shifter (Ola could have changed that back to standard because I supplied a standard lever when I sold the car?). noisy induction (I removed that) All just a bit too harsh for the road.

I imagine you'll find some very glazed bores in that engine.

If you look very closely at the spoiler you will see what I spoke about in my earlier post.

It has Metro Hydrogas on the front, and Spax coilovers on the rear with 150 lb/in springs, and a little run flat spring.

Hydrogas explained
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/su ... dragas.htm

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/mg ... explained/

This thread did have lots of photos of the removal of a sunroof. I'm fairly certain the roof isn't anywhere near 8 mm thick. Cars with sunroofs fitted had the inside edge feathered off a bit, so ordinary sunroofs would fit.

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=1730

However with the amount of almost horizontal glass I strongly advice against fitting one, you'll also lose headroom, something I'm guessing you'll need? Most Swedes are six feet plus tall in my experience.

If you want a car with a sunroof I'll do you a swap :P

Picture 233.jpg
Picture 233.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 10272 times
Stuart

Postby PerS » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Patrik.

Could well be my car on the photo, big sunrööf and Lhd.

My sunroof is a Farmont Produktion type: F1000.

As for the front suspension it´s a big divider amongst the Midas owners.

Hydragas, an evolution of the Hydrolastic system, involves spheres with nitrogen in the upper half of the sphere and hydrolastic liquid in the lower part.
I´m positive about the gas/liquid system for road use and hope to prove the advantage of it when I´ve substituted the old spheres for newer and rebuilt ones.

Per
PerS

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:18 pm

PerS wrote:Hi Patrik.

Could well be my car on the photo, big sunrööf and Lhd.

My sunroof is a Farmont Produktion type: F1000.

As for the front suspension it´s a big divider amongst the Midas owners.

Hydragas, an evolution of the Hydrolastic system, involves spheres with nitrogen in the upper half of the sphere and hydrolastic liquid in the lower part.
I´m positive about the gas/liquid system for road use and hope to prove the advantage of it when I´ve substituted the old spheres for newer and rebuilt ones.

Per

The Farmont F1000 sunroof is the one I had installed on the car. It is special because it can tilt but also slide backwards like on the CRX. I had a story about it in an early Midas club magazine. Almost everyone fits the simple versions that only will tilt. Because of the rails inside on the F1000 you'll lose headroom esspecially with the CRX seats I installed afterwards. I am surprised Per fits (but may be my size = 173cm).
Hans Efde

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello.
Again, thanks for the quick and detailed response.
To assemble the sunroof is not the first thing I will do. More a reflection on future changes to the car. Well I am quite tall, about 190cm. so I hope to be able to sit in one of the two other cars to see if there is any point to keep a sunroof in mind.

The first thing to do is to rebuild the engine. Wrote MED engineering and asked of the specification for the engine, camshaft, compression, carburetor and so on. Got the answer that they did not retain any information on such old engines. Stuart, do you know anything about what the engine contains?
That the car is built as a track car completely to my taste, and short shifter is still in the car. I think the car is in the same condition as when it left the UK, except that there were oil pressure in the engine. So I have little to do before I can drive the car, which I am very much looking forward to.

Best Regards
Patrik.
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Patrik,

The engine is

1380 cc
276 Kent cam with belt drive
Road/Rally head with bronze guides, leaded.
1.5 roller rockers and Isky springs
Lightened flywheel
Aldon distributor
SU HIF44 carb
Flowed MG Metro inlet
25lb oil switch
3.1 final drive
MED rebuilt gearbox with central pick-up
Turbo clutch
KAD quickshift
Club stainless steel exhaust.

It'll be a good car with a little bit of work.
Stuart

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Hello.
Many, many thanks for that information.
Feels good to know which parts my engine is built of.

Regards
Patrik.
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Hello.
Still only in the planning stages of my car. Have many thoughts on how things should be resolved in the best way.
Have you thought right from the beginning so you only need to do it once.
At the moment I'm thinking about the best place to put the oil cooler. Where have you placed your oil cooler?

The next question is seats. Those who sit in my car is beyond repair. So it is new or second-hand as I'm considering. A little color is nice, the car is black so almost all colors suit.
Having looked at many different seats without having found the right, has no back seat, but would nonetheless have folding seats.
What seats do you have in your cars? Which sites would you recommend?

With Regards
Patrik.
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:07 am

Concerning seats I installed Honda Civic CRX seats in my first Gold coupe. It is now owned by Per, so maybe you can pay him a visit to see if they fit you.
Oil cooler is a problem. Gold engine bay's have difficulty with high power engines. Everything gets really hot, not to mention the exhaust manifold. The easiest would be to install an oil/water heat exchanger. These sit between the block and the oil filter and hardly take up space. An other option -esspecially for high power engines- is the small external oil cooler. There is no place in the Midas engine bay for it. The only and best thing I came up with is this:
I've cut a hole in the bumper for it. There are also 2 hoses that blow air into the engine bay. One is going all around the block to blow air on the exhaust manifold. Before the engine overhaul I had a turbo on it and it really helped keep the turbo cool.

Shot of the cooler and air hoses with the bumper removed:

Only problem my license plate doesn't fit anymore. I put a sticker on the nose but this is illegal. Until now it cost me 1 fine, but I am in the process of getting official small licenseplates. We have in Holland the possibility to get USA type licenseplates, but it's quite difficult to get through the procedure. I have now filed a complained and even may get to court to prove my right. F@cking Bureaucrats!
Hans Efde

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am

Hi.
Some may wonder what happens to my Midas. Not much, nothing at all. Since more than a year, we are building a new garage to our cars. We have a few, five cars and two motorcycles.
The wife writes a blog, but has not written anything in a while. But a lot of the construction of the garage, in Swedish. If someone wants to translate, or just looking at the pictures. My Midas is not forgotten, it just wait a little before I take hold of it.

http://marinaanilsson.blogg.se/category/garage.html

Greetings
Patrik Nilsson
Sweden
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Previous

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself