Midas Gold Coupe 1987

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Gold Coupe 1987

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello.
I am a new owner of a Midas Gold coupe from 1987. One of three in Sweden, living in the southern part of the country. The car was imported by the previous owner in 2008. In the UK had the registration number Q23 GVC. What I was told by the previous owner, the car is built by a Rolls Royce mechanic who had sold it to? and then sold it to the guy I bought it from. If anyone knows more, please complete. Midas Gold has been a dream car since I saw it in a newspaper in mid-1985, so when coming up for sale, it was not so much to think about.

Well, the car, waiting for it to become available in garage so the engine can be lifted out and examined, lacking oil pressure so I need to check what is wrong. The most obvious is checked, the check valve and the pump has been oild. Did not help. The engine is one MED built 1380cc timing belt, at 100 bhp and I do not want to ruin it. Now, the engine has a cracked exhaust manifold cast iron, an LCB came with the purchase to be installed. And a single SU HIF carburetor to be replaced with a Janspeed intake with twin SU HIF6. Now my Mini 1275 GT in the way, it will get a new gearbox. Then go my Mini out and my Midas into the garage.

Some questions for you who use your cars, I have not test driven my car because of lack of oil pressure.

Should not the battery sit as far back as possible in the car, both for weight distribution and to get more space in the engine compartment. Beside the spare wheel, for example?

You who have sunroof in your cars, it is something that is recommended? Thinking of a Websto Hollandia, but would like to know if it is worth jobs and money to put in a sun roof of the car.

I have read on the forum if openable rear side windows but can not find who seems to have done it on their car. Is there anyone who has been there and know what parts are needed?

My oil cooler is located behind the right head lamp, it should not sit at or in the air intake so it becomes percolation of the air?

Thinking of seats from a Jaguar XJS 1988, someone who has done it already? Should fit.

The plan is to get the car on the road, and then take the second bit afterwards.

Best Regards
Patrik Nilsson
Sweden
Attachments
midas1.jpg
midas1.jpg (249.9 KiB) Viewed 10713 times
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Re: Midas Gold Coupe 1987

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Patrik,
congrats with your purchase, it is quite a famous car you have. It has a unique spoiler, if I am not mistaken a shortened Mercedes 190 spoiler. to answer your questions:

Should not the battery sit as far back as possible in the car, both for weight distribution and to get more space in the engine compartment. Beside the spare wheel, for example?

Yes it may help, but not sure if you will notice it on the road. I put my battery in the back because I can get more air around the engine. The reason for the exhaust manifold cracking is metal fatigue due to overheating. I have routed a hose around the engine to blow cold air to the manifold. I know people who wrapped the exhaust manifold to keep the heat out of the engine bay, but it results in the replacement of the exhaust manifold about every 2 years.

You who have sunroof in your cars, it is something that is recommended? Thinking of a Websto Hollandia, but would like to know if it is worth jobs and money to put in a sun roof of the car.
A sunroof can be handy to get a better airflow through the cabin. That's the reason I used it mostly, even on cold days I had it open for venting. You can use any sunroof if it can be installed on thick material (the grp is around 8mm thick on the roof, make sure you cut in the roof and not in the stiffeners) because ususally they are designed for metal cars and these have thin roofs. Also before the cutting lay the sunroof frame down on the car and see if it follows the curve of the roof. If they don't match don't buy. On metal cars the roof forms to the sunroof frame, on a Midas it won't. so you will get big blobs of sealant trying to seal the gap and the glass of the sunroof will be always under too much pressure. There are many sunroofs with all different curves, so go to a company that stocks multi types and brands.

I have read on the forum if openable rear side windows but can not find who seems to have done it on their car. Is there anyone who has been there and know what parts are needed?
You have to build these yourself, but are not necessary if you have a sunroof and have opened air passage ways to the air extractor vents near the taillights. The cabin air must be able to pass the board in the back and the internal side fenders in the storage area (where the rear wheel sits)

My oil cooler is located behind the right head lamp, it should not sit at or in the air intake so it becomes percolation of the air?

Ah yes, this is a problem. I bought my car (MED turbosprint 120-160bhp) WITHOUT an oil cooler fitted and it destroyed the crankshaft bearings and the oil pump. I cut a hole in the bumper for the cooler and 2 air hoses that keep the engine bay cool. But the police wasn't happy and fined me because I hadn't fitted my license plate. That's the problem, the only good place for the cooler is where the license plate sits.

Concerning seats, jaguar seats sounds like big seats that won't fit.

Concerning the oil pressure problem, filling the oil filter with oil, squirting oil in the oil pressure channels and revving the engine without the spark plugs in should give oil pressure. The oil pump may be shot because of debris in the oil, therefore drain the oil completely and check for metal bits. Any bronze type stuff may be the main bearing shells gone (as was on my car, they were just pieces of a puzzle). Also check the axial play on the crankshaft. Let someone press the clutch and check for play on the wheel that drives the V-belt. On mine there was noticable play.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum Patrik. I bought the car off Geff, and then sold it to Ola when illness prevented me from driving and working on the car.

I had trouble getting oil pressure when I got the car up and running for Ola. As Hans says try pouring oil into the block via the pressure relief hole, that did the job for me.

The car had quite a few issues that needing resolving, and I just didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to do them. It was always a huge drinker of oil, a pint every 250 miles, but it didn't seem to smoke that much :?

I personally would not fit a sunroof. The brake light housing on the roof is supposed to help with the through-flow of air.

I regret selling the car every time I see it, but it does need changing back from the extreme build point that Geff built it to.

This was the last time I saw the car.

n_a.jpg
n_a.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 10707 times
Stuart

Postby PerS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi Patrik!
Welcome to your new ownership of a Midas.
I hope to see you and your Midas on a "full" Midas meeting here in Sweden later in the Spring.

Per
PerS

Postby benofbrum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 pm

That spoiler looks very similar to a Citroen Bx TZD and one or two other models.
benofbrum

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:36 am

benofbrum wrote:That spoiler looks very similar to a Citroen Bx TZD and one or two other models.

It does a bit, however Hans is correct in that it is a Mercedes 190 spoiler, albeit heavily modified being cut in half and the ends built up to suit the slope of the Midas.

Stuart

Postby Jin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 am

Love that spoiler, looks great :D
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:57 pm

It must make it a bit difficult to get stuff out of the back
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:It must make it a bit difficult to get stuff out of the back

Those Swedes are tall people.
Hans Efde

Postby EXCEL,PATRIK. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello.
Thanks for the answers to my questions. But the answers gives me more questions. Why is my car famous? The rear wing is a custom-made thing, what I was told by Ola (previous owner) it's a Mercedes 190 wing that is modified. But I did not get it to work right when the wing is higher than an original 190's wing. Could it be that it's from a 190 EVO 2. So that makes my car special. Is there anything else that makes my car special and famous?

In what way is the car extremely built?
I've never driven the car, and no other Midas either.

As I wrote earlier, I have thoughts to mount sunroof in the car, Webasto Hollandia 100. Large glass surface and thin rubber strip, have emailed with a supplier here in Sweden and found out that they are made for a roof thickness of 0.8- 1,2mm. The car in the picture has a sunroof that resembles a Hollandia 100. What is your manufacturer of your sunroofs?

Wondering if anyone can explain how the suspension works on the cars? Rear ordinary shock absorbers with springs, front suspension some kind of gas thing.

Regarding the engine, I have filled oil through the oil passage to the pump, with no result, no oil pressure. So the engine must be lifted out. I will go through the engine and replace all bearings and other things that are worn. Will also replace the timing belt on a double chain. The battery will go back in the car for more space in the engine compartment and more cooling around the engine. The oil cooler should be found a better place to allowing more air to pass through.

It will certainly have more questions.

greetings
Patrik.
Attachments
Midas_10_vragen.jpg
Midas_10_vragen.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
EXCEL,PATRIK.

Next

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself