Hi everybody ( Midas gone full circle)

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hi everybody ( Midas gone full circle)

Postby l_jonez » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Afternoon all,
I thought I'd well join up as I'm now a proud owner of a MK2 ( I believe) Midas.
Here's the reason I have bought it....

In 1981/2 my father built a Midas from scratch, he used it as his daily car for a few years but was forced to sell it in 85 because I was born. He sold it to a local guy and it was never seen again until last week when my father bumped into the guy in a shop, after a quick chat it turned out it was still in his garage and it was for sale. I went to look at it last weekend and it seems to be fairly complete, the last time it was on the road was 1988! So a deal was done and Its getting delivered in a couple of days :-)

I'll get some pics up when its here, no doubt it needs some work. Currently it will be project 3 on the list so any work will be slow.

Hope to post a build thread soon.
l_jonez

Re: Hi everybody ( Midas gone full circle)

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. That's great getting your hands on a Midas with such history. It makes a special car even more special. I hope you enjoy it.
Hans Efde

Postby Jin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Sounds like a great project, look forward to the updates
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby kelvink » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:41 pm

What a fantastic find :-)

Looking forward to hearing more about it and I'm sure your dad will be really pleased to see you working on it too.
kelvink

Postby l_jonez » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Well its hone :-)

Plenty of things to do, a full rebuild is on the cards

I know I need to source a n/s wing mirror and a headlight surround.
l_jonez

Postby kelvink » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Not bad at all, I reckon that will clean up quite nicely. The light surround you can get from Alistair at Midas Cars. The mirror is from a Renault 14 which are probably more rare than a Midas these days.
kelvink

Postby l_jonez » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Just a quick question, does the colour of the gel coat have a name? There's a few bits that need a touch up and at the moment I'm starting to like the colour
l_jonez

Postby ACourtney » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 pm

l_jonez wrote:Just a quick question, does the colour of the gel coat have a name? There's a few bits that need a touch up and at the moment I'm starting to like the colour

The original gelcoat colours were supplied by DSM and the original colour chart can be found at http://www.midas.orba-design.com/index. ... general%2F
However, DSM no longer make gelcoat pigments so knowing the name is of little use, but the colour chart does give the BS4800 number for some of the colours, so for example if you think the colour that matches yours is the one that DSM called Cream then that is BS4800 09-1368 (That is only an example as I would find it difficult to match any of the colours on that chart to the photo of your car). The best range of gelcoat pigments is currently made by Llewellyn Ryland http://www.llewellyn-ryland.co.uk/colourcards.html You could try contacting them as they are quite happy to send out the colour cards for all their gelcoat pigment ranges and have been known to send out samples of pigments, that can be mixed with clear gelcoat to see what colour they set.

Having said all that, it is very difficult to match in gelcoat spot repairs. Just ask a few GRP laminators, or repair experts. The pigments in gelcoat are more thinly distributed than in paint and are more effected by UV light, so even if you had a pot of the original gelcoat pigment it would be difficult to blend in a repair. I have had more success with getting panels painted to match the original gelcoat. I could name a couple of Midas owners (but I’ll spare them the blushes) whose cars I have repaired and then had the repaired panel painted to match the original gelcoat. You wouldn’t know that there was any difference between the painted panel and the adjacent gelcoat panels. This is because modern paint systems can be matched perfectly to any colour and a good sprayer will be able to blend the paint in at an edge - so you only need to paint a panel face and not the whole car. Unfortunately, the same colour matching technology available for paint does not exist for gelcoats.

I would suggest giving your car a good wash over to remove all the dirt and then power polishing it with Farecla cutting compound. You can hire power polishers, but they are available now for as little as £30 so well worth the investment when renovating a GRP car. You will end up spending more on foam mops and cutting compound anyway.

If the gelcoat looks bad with areas of chalking and/or scratches then I would use Farecla G6 compound. If the colour is only lightly faded I would use Farecla G3. G3 is finer than G6 so doesn’t remove so much of the surface layer, but you can be quite brave as the gelcoat applied by D&H was very generous. If necessary you can use wet and dry 400 and 600 to remove bad scratches before polishing.
I would recommend G6, over the coarser G7, as G6 breaks down with use and becomes a finer polish. So if you use G7 to get rid of the worst of the marks, you will have to wash it all off and finish off with G3 to get the shine back, whereas the G6 will do it all. With the G6 you continue polishing, adding more fresh paste until you are happy that the marks have gone, then you just continue with the G6, spraying on a little more water to keep the mop lubricated, but no more fresh paste, until the gelcoat is shiny. Once you have got as much of the original shine back as you possibly can then you can take a better judgement on how to approach the repairs and it will also be easier to match the colour.

I notice also that you are missing a headlamp shroud and a wing mirror. I have a mould for the headlamp shrouds and sell them for £22. I started to make a mould for the mirrors a few years back, but there didn't seem to be any interest from Midas owners. My idea was to get some mirror glasses cut and then mould new housings.
ACourtney

Postby l_jonez » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Cheers, I'll get the car washed and polished then look at how much repair work is needed. I'm not to worried about spraying it if need be, I've been spraying cars for a few years just thought gel coat might have been a stronger option than filler?

Thankfully I've found the missing head light surround in the car :-) but a mirror is still a problem. I've been looking at other cars to see if there is anything that would not look out of place.
l_jonez

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself