Future project seeker!

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Future project seeker!

Postby Lukith » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:47 pm

Hey guys! New to the forum and thought I'd pop up and say hello!

I've only recently discovered about the Midas brand and instantly fell in love with them (I'm not old enough to remember them from back then). I just happened to be searching for projects on eBay and one popped up. After some serious consideration I let it pass but decided to do one in the near future (probably after I've bought my housemate out his half of the house).

I think I'll be looking for a MK1/ MK2 coupe. Possibly looking at putting a swift gti engine in, but seeing as there are only 44 of those currently registered on the road at the moment, that might become rather difficult. My history is that I've served some time in the motor trade, completed a mechanics apprenticeship at a Mercedes-Benz dealer and after a couple of years left the trade for good.

I've rebuilt a few motorcycles as projects, but now I have my eyes firmly set on a Midas. I'm following some of the posts on here and finding them very interesting and useful at the same time. I haven't had all my questions answered yet, but I'll keep searching the forums before I start as no doubt most of them are out there.

I hope to be joining you soon!
Lukith

Re: Future project seeker!

Postby moss » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 pm

welcome to the forum and to the midas cars
we have a website and if you would like to join the club go to it and fill in the form
we would like to help you
Tony Moss
Hon sec Midas owners club
moss

Postby streetsy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:07 am

Where abouts do you live, there may be somebody near to you with a car, either for sale or just to look over and have a sit in etc. As Tony says above the owners club is very helpful.
streetsy

Postby kelvink » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 am

The club is indeed very useful to join if you are on the look out for a Midas, whilst there may be only a few cars on the road there's plenty under 'restoration' though that might often be better called 'resting' Unless you set fire to these little cars they are pretty much non distructable. Alistair's even doing galvanising for the subframes these days!

Join the club, probably simplest to do at Stoneleigh in May as there's always a club spot there along with several other shows dotted around the year such as some of the classics and of course my favourite club gathering at Castle Combe race circuit for Mini World Action Day.

If you let folk know what region of the country you are in then I'm sure people will keep an ear to the ground for you. I'm in Dorset so the the Wessex patch is one I particularly keep an eye to.

Good to see you on the forum.

By the way what sort of project are you looking for? A runner or a total restoration?
kelvink

Postby Lukith » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 am

I'll look into joining the club in the near future. Thanks for the warm reception!

I'm based in Salisbury, Wiltshire. So not a million miles away from yourself kelvink. I quite like the idea of one of those shows, I guess there is some more information on them on the other thread, so I'll head over there.

As for the car, I'm not 100% on exactly what I want. I usually go with my gut and "know it when I see it". I don't have a massive budget to start with as it's all going towards the house at the moment. So, I guess the car might have to reflect that.
Lukith

Postby kelvink » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Aha! you are just up the road quite literally.

Pop down to Blandford and I'll let you see a selection of Midas I've got. (not looking to sell them though, I like them too much!) If you do get one of your own at some point then we can make a bit of a convoy to some of these events and get more people introduced to the wonders of these fab little cars :D

There's another chap just outside Blandford also looking for an MK2 too so there could be a bit of a fight for one shortly LOL I've got the ones I want though so I'm not competing although I could be tempted by a clean and tidy Mk3 Coupe. I've got go get my Mk2 finished off really and then rip my Mk3 apart and restore it. It's great fun to drive even if it is the scruffiest car in Dorset
kelvink

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself