Dave's Midas Q965GVC

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Dave's Midas Q965GVC

Postby BruceRobbins » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 pm

I'm in the process of getting Dave's white Midas Bronze with the twin blue stripes back on the road. I was wondering if Dave is still on the forum? It would be interesting finding out about the car's history. I bought it in late summer. It had been off the road for four or five years, sitting outside in deepest Aberdeenshire and battered by the elements. The clutch was seized solid and it had a catalogue of other problems. It's now through its MOT and I drove it for about 20 miles getting it home.

I had a black Bronze in about 1990 and loved it but I can't say the white one was particularly enjoyable to drive. It still needs a bit of sorting. It's reluctant to rev beyond 4000 rpm, spits back through the carb from time to time, has a horribly loud exhaust (I'm 58 and it's torture - sorry!) and I find it difficult to squeeze my skull under the headlining - and it's nothing to do with an over-abundance of hair. I've got MGTF seats in it and I reckon I might just get away with them if I remove the runners and bolt them to the floor. A pal has a pair of original Huntmasters that might provide a bit more head clearance but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Seeing the attached pic of Dave's car in the gallery confirmed what I only noticed when I was giving it a polish: it has twin stripes, probably vinyl. They're not apparent because someone has painted over them to match the gel coat without removing the vinyl stripes! You feel the raised stripes before you see them. Strange. I'm wondering how easy it would be to remove the stripes and polish the gel coat but there are plenty of things to be getting on with first.
Attachments
30DBEAAD-F641-44F4-A415-80F02093E211.jpeg
30DBEAAD-F641-44F4-A415-80F02093E211.jpeg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
BruceRobbins

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself