hello from sweden

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

hello from sweden

Postby madmax83 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:14 pm

I’ve always been interested in odd (unique right?) cars & motorbikes. it’s time to realise that I don’t have the time to restore anymore. I’ve been on the hunt for a domino mini but then someone steered me towards the midas. Three here in Sweden so let’s see. I’m originally from Belfast and am home ln ”the island” 2-3 times a year. so always the opportunity to import one. nice to be on the forum now & to have already had access to a lot of info. cheers / JWR
madmax83

Re: hello from sweden

Postby dusz » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm

Welcome. Hope your search for a Midas is fruitful and that it is not too difficult a task to import one to Sweden.
dusz

Postby PerS » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:35 pm

Hello JWR,

Welcome to the Midas Forum.
After Olof and Ola I was the 3rd importer of a Midas to the Swedish soil.
To get the best information about what is required to successfully import to Sweden you need to contact "Transportstyrelsen" (authority re. transport).
Olof and Ola had to work hard and it took them more than 2 years to get their number plates !!
For me it was a lot quicker, only a month in total.
Main obstacle is when it´s a Kit Car and it doesn´t help if it´s rhd.
I wish you best of luck!
PerS
PerS

Postby madmax83 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:27 am

PerS, just the man I was trying to come in contact with. Quite obvious that you aren’t interested in selling. Good to hear that about registering as I have considered a UK import or from Rep of Ireland (I’m from N.Ireland originally). I’ve heard a ”Q” registration can complicate things and I suppose that although a EU certification has to be recognised in the EU, a single vehicle registration (sfro in sweden?) is specific to each country. I am a lobbyist for a vehicle manufacturer,and enjoy reading regs on non-work subjects, but not read into this particular question. I registered a british military bike in sweden and my discussions wit transportstyrelsen and the ”MOT” technical department were good. In the end they loved the oddity of it & it went well :)

Let’s see what happens. Although I could acquire something directly I have a Nissan Patrol and a GasGas Randonne I’d like sell to free up the space in my garage (and maybe my cottage car in the North - Lada Niva). I’ve been told to consider hard before getting a cortez and a domino mini has always been on my radar. 2 back seats isnt a necessity but it would be great if my girls can tag along. hope you arent too far from getting yours on the road this coming summer. theres a nordic mini meet south of nässjo then which could be a good goal.

Hälsningar Jonnie (aka Jonathan Wendel Rice)
madmax83

Postby madmax83 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:28 pm

Hej Per!

I was also interested to hear how it weny so smoothly for you. It was dutch registered before so I guess RDW ”certified” which makes it easier. what kind of info did you need when you reg’d? You can take it here in English or if you want to take it in Swedish, I’m fluent so simply send me a pm.

cheers

Jonnie
madmax83

Postby madmax83 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:52 pm

Hej Per,

Unfortunately I am still not allowed to send messages so I can thank you here for the info. I registered a british military motorcycle here & because it had been reg’d in the UK & there were a few reg’d already in Sweden, it was extremely straightforward. I know I should sit still in the boat in my search for a car (I have a very impatient soul!), but will have everything sorted before I go for it and buy one. I work with vehicle regulations so know how to read them, but authorities are funny to deal with. I also really want those back seats. Perhaps I need to send off a mail to Alternative cars. There is that Cortez in Germany, which isn’t so far from Brussels (I’m often there). The right car will turn up!

Until then, thanks again for the tips & info!

/ Jonnie
madmax83

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself