Hi all...

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hi all...

Postby Midasmatt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey all...

Im matt, 19 years old... and a complete and utter classic mini nut.

i currently own a 1988 Mini which ive fully restored and im picking up this in the next week or so as my next project that will be a daily driver once finished......

midas.jpg
midas.jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 4336 times

Its been off the road since 02, 998cc engine with twin SU carbs, it runs but needs a good service and a tune up. New tyres all round on weller wheels

from what i can see this is what needs doing....

- Tidy up brakes all round as there is rusty pipes and backplates are rusty.
- Get the engine running properly
- some small bodywork bits to patch up where there are cracks and a hole
- eventually a respray
- interior will need fully redoing, re upholster seats and fit new carpet, clean up dash ect....
- fit new ignition barrel and door locks as all of these are either broken/non existant/ have no keys

just a general tidy up really... not bad for 300 quid

what yall think?
-
WhEn In DoUbT gIvE iT a ClOuT!
If YoU dOnT hAvE a SpAnNeR, hIt It WiTh A hAmMeR!
Midasmatt

Re: Hi all...

Postby manifold » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 am

Hi Matt,

Nice little motor. Great cheap motoring.

Good luck with the restore!

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Matt, welcome to the Midas group. Nice to see young people like you are bitten by the Midas bug. Many old dinosaurs in the Midas club (I would like to think I am in the middle...) so always good to see the next generation stepping in. I hope you enjoy your new motor.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am

Welcome aboard Matt, there was another driver in your age bracket enquiring about insurance recently. Perhaps you could post up details once you are up and running? It would be good to see some running pics of the restoration too.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby Stuart » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Welcome Matt :)

You'll be amazed at much quicker the Midas is at higher speeds than a Mini.

It's an early narrow front arch Mk2 you have there. Good luck with the rebuild.

Stuart
Stuart

Postby rocketron » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi Matt, Huge welcome. You've deffo got a bargain, you'll not get a Mini Rustbucket for that sort of money. I've got a similar Mk1, the chassis no. is .....11.
Is yours older? Unless it's had a mod on the front, i.e. bumper level side/indicator units instead of low level, the chassis no will end with a higher than 11 no. Any knowledge of previous owners?
Good luck and have lots of fun with the resto. Any probs, post a question: there's a knowledgable and friendly bunch here waiting to help.
Regards, Ron
rocketron

Postby Alan D. » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Hello Matt,

Welcome to the forum, but please let us know what part of the country you are in, then other owners can make contact with you. We do this in the North, so we can help each other out with parts, advice and trips out! there is nothing more impressive than seeing three or four Midas's together on a run!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Midasmatt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Wow so many replies...

the main reason i picked this lil beauty up is because i couldnt afford a mini rustbucket and the midas will be a nice change from the mini.

This is what i know about the history of the car so far:

Turns out that a very close friend of min owned it about 5 years ago with the intention to do it up for when he passed his test ( how i didnt know he had it i dont know! ) but it got rejected and his dad gave it away to a mini enthusiast for FREE in this condition, then that person sold it to the guy i just bought it off and he never started work on it so ive ended up buying it :)

ermm whats next...

oh yeah location, i live in Wokingham, Berkshire....

i did see a red midas hanging around outside downton motor engineering when i was over in that area a while back, dont know if that persons on this forum or not...

i cant wait to get my hand on this car though, shame its taking so long to get my girlfriends parents to pick it up in their horse lorry!

ciau for now
WhEn In DoUbT gIvE iT a ClOuT!
If YoU dOnT hAvE a SpAnNeR, hIt It WiTh A hAmMeR!
Midasmatt

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself