Frustrated Midas widow/owner

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Frustrated Midas widow/owner

Postby diverkitty » Sun May 03, 2009 12:39 am

What happens when a man developes an obsession? The excuse to fill up the garage and front garden outside with loads of Midas's/Midasis/Midi (what is the plural anyway?). I have one, the other half has 3 and are any of them on the road? Course not - just as it gets near to even just one of them going for MOT, he invents another modification sigh......... Which means I still don't have a car! Oh......how did he change his engine on his second one? Well sneaky he is!! I needed to learn to drive for work - he promised me he would teach me however I had to learn about engines first. That's right - he handed me a Haynes manual, a set of spanners and presented me with engine suspended on a mini-crane and told me to get to it. Two days later (4 broken nails, lots of cursing and a pair of biceps developed that scared off the local louts), engine started first time. Was I proud? Of course but pride always comes before fall. That's right - you guessed it! He turned round and said he wasn't going to teach me as too expensive on insurance. Well two can be sneaky!! I bought an old mini off my brother-in-law, insured it 3rd party F&T and yes - passed my test first time courtesy of nice man from the AA (who raced bikes at brands hatch when not scaring himself shitless teaching people to drive in London) and then promptly drove his Midas. Hah!! So of course 5 years later when he gets fed up of me nicking the car - he buys another from ebay and it's mine all mine.......well as soon as he's finished his latest modification that is.....................
diverkitty

Re: Frustrated Midas widow/owner

Postby Rich » Sun May 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Kitty, welcome to the forum. It's a little quiet round here today as I would imagine most people are at Stoneleigh for the Kit Car Show, I've just got back.

My better half would probably sympathise with you, the Midas on our drive has been christened 'The Ornament'. The flip side is it keeps him out of the pub and you know where he is. :D

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby diverkitty » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Oh I know that too well - other half just come back from there today before he goes on nightshift. Was picking up 3 heated windscreens (no prizes for guessing where they're going! ;) ). I'd have popped up to Stoneleigh myself but still getting over a knee op which is taking a lot longer to mend than expected - can't stand around for longer than 2 hours yet.....but working on it :) Shame as it sounds a gas with all those midai (still can't get the plural) around.

Perhaps we should have a "Long-suffering Other Half" network page on this site too. When the leg's better (and I've finished giving him earache and twisting his ...well not his arm - he needs that to fix my car.......) going to start going to meets again. If you can't beat em.......at least drive the hell out of it so it keeps his hobby ticking along :lol:
diverkitty

Postby Rich » Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 pm

He must have been there after I picked mine up, I didn't see anyone lugging three screens away.

I have a funny feeling that when mine is done I'm going to have trouble holding onto it, I can see her old Porsche being flogged to fund a Midas. Though I think I'll buy a running, taxed and tested one next time..

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am

Hello diverkitty.

Welcome to the forum.

I must say I enjoyed reading your intro. :)

I can see a lot of parallels there....although I doubt I would get away with handing my wife a manual and asking her to install an engine for me!

I was pondering on whether to install one of my screens today however its turning a bit grey.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself