Hello from Scotland

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hello from Scotland

Postby philr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi,

I'm a long term Midas owner - 1993, when I bought a Mk3 Gold Coupe from my brother.
My brother bought it from Nick Haycock, the original owner. I still have a large quantity of the original documentation, receipts, letters from Harold etc
Originally, it had a 1380 A series engine, which made driving in the wet interesting ! I converted to a standard MG Metro, which made the car more driveable.

The car is in need of a serious refurb/rebuild - I haven't used it for 8 years due to Children, House etc, but am now thinking this could be fun again and economical !.
I am watching other peoples comments about more modern engine swaps, as I was never a great fan of the BL 'A' series, particularly the gearbox !

Regards

Phil R
Midas Gold Mk3 Q370FLE
philr

Re: Hello from Scotland

Postby graemedench » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi there

Also in Scotland West Kibride, don't think there is that many of us up here, Where abouts are you based? Good lucK with the refurb I'm currently doing my Bronze taking a while but cant wait till its on the road again!

If you fancy a meet up sometime give me a shout :)

Graeme
graemedench

Postby philr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Graeme,

I'm in Lochgilphead - Argyll & Bute, Still a good distance from yourself.

Not sure when I'm going to get some real time to do the refurb, got to build a new shed for tools etc, and possibly shelter for poor old midas

I'll give you a shout , if I'm down your way

Regards

Phil R
Midas Gold Mk3 Q370FLE
philr

Postby manifold » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Hello guys.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you find lots of useful info on here.

Don't forget to show us pictures of your work and any problems you encounter!

I think someone's analogy about the mini gearbox was like comparing it to something made out of cheese/chocolate (delete as appropriate).

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Victorc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi,
I live in Glasgow and own a Gold convertable (1380).
It has not been running too well lately, but I have a plan :)

I is good to hear of outher Midas owners in Scotland, there are a few near Newcastle, but then it is a long way South to the next one.

Regards
Victor
Victorc

Postby manifold » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes,

My car is probably the next furthest South car after the North East guys, although I think theres one 5 miles further North in Lancaster.

KR,

D
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Here in the N.E. of England there are four Midas's on the road, but we have two ex Midas owners, who have moved on to other projects, who still associate with us. We do make occasional trips to Scotland, one of the runs we do is the Moffat Classic car rally. It was here that we meet Victor last year. So do go to the shows you have a good chance of meeting with other enthusiasts, Minis, Mini Marcos's, Pimlico's etc. Just join in, that's the way forward. Hurry up and get your car finished as we are going to Classic Le Mans next year.

I went to Holland last year, to the IMM and there were loads of Scottish Mini owners on the ferry. I got quite a bit of attention as I was the only Midas on the boat and lots of the Scots were interested in the car! One of the things that really made me smile, was when we were boarding the boat, the Mini clan were tooting there horns, sirens, klaxons etc. But there was one lad who had fitted marine speakers in his boot lid and was blasting out bagpipe music. You know how stirring it is. It would have probable terrified a southerner. I also meet a group of Austin seven owners from the Edinburgh area, they had driven hundreds of miles at 30 mph in there 1930's cars. One owner told me proudly, how his car was modified. Yes he'd changed the cable operated brakes to hydraulic! Now that's progress. So think how futuristic a Midas is.It was all great fun.

We keep meaning to come and see the Falkirk Wheel, so maybe next year. Victor C. doesn't know it yet but he is organising this trip!

If you are stuck with anything just shout we are all here to help and as they say in the N.E. "Shy bairns get nowt."

The picture below, Now that's Scotland!

Welcome again

Alan
Attachments
Russellsnearlyoverthehill-1-1[1].jpg
Russellsnearlyoverthehill-1-1[1].jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
Alan D.

Postby kippy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:00 pm

hi good to hear i'm not on my own in scotland,i'm way down in the s/w Newton Stewart near Stranrare .stayed in the Grey Gull a wee while ago , nice place
kippy

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself