Fresh Dutch Midas owner

Newbie? Introduce yourself here!

Ring the bell and say "Hi" by telling us a little about you and your cars. We always have someone in who'll get the door and welcome you to the family!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Fresh Dutch Midas owner

Postby astonmartine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but now it's really time to introduce myself.
Next weekend I'll fly to London to collect the black Midas Gold that is currently offered in the For Sale section by Stuart9697.

The first time I saw a Midas Gold was during a National Mini Meeting in 2006. I was instantly hooked by the styling of the car and I wanted to learn all about it. I often saw potential Midasses for sale, but every time there was something in the way, either personal or with the car. I bombarded Dutch Midas owners Hans and Eddie with my endless questioning and they patiently helped me every time. (You guys must have thought this was an endless quest. Hans, I see you're also an active memeber here. Big thanks for your patience!)

When I saw Stuart's Midas up for sale here on the forum, I just couldn't resist contacting him. This leaded to that, and this time, there seems to be nothing in the way, and I really can't wait for Saturday, when the Midas and I will meet.

A little more about me: I'm Martine, 24 years old and currently already the proud owner of a 1989 BMW E30 325i (with the engine of a E36 325i), and a 1974 Aston Martin V8 (currently in restauration).
In the past I have owned a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am, a 1987 Trans Am and a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Sportscoupe.
So without a doubt a real carfreak. I'm not much of a techie yet, but I'm learning more and more. I hope the Midas will also be a goor car to learn from. I'm sure it's a bit easier to work on than an Aston Martin.

Oh, and now I don't have to bug just Hans and Eddie with my questions. I'll just ask all of you through the forum :)
astonmartine

Re: Fresh Dutch Midas owner

Postby Rich » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Martine, that's quite a collection to have at 24!

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby manifold » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you find all those valuable snippits you need to get the jobs done!

Interesting choice of cars! My father used to have an Aston Martin DBS V8 Vantage. Same colour as Brett Sinclairs was in the Pursuaders ;). Very nice car in its day and very nice engine sound too. My father had the claim to fame of writing his off though too! (he bought it back though and had it rebuilt and fully resprayed in Rolls Royce Pearl Black. Looked gorgeous with Cream white leather.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 am

Hoi Martine,
That's good news! Hope all goes well. If you need help you know where to find us. If the weather is okay a number of us will be at the 3rd MSCN meeting in Utrecht on October 11th. Maybe we'll see you there.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Postby astonmartine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

@ Hans: I'll write it down in my agenda.
My own Midas will probably not have it's Dutch registation yet by that time, but I live near Utrecht, so I should visit.
astonmartine

Postby Midaspeter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Martine,

Welcome to the 'Dutch Midas Squadron'. It is nice to have another Midas Gold Coupe in Holland. Don't know what kind of agreement you have with your insurrance, but I drove a few months on a British licenceplate in Holland, no problemo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
See you perhaps in Utrecht, next month!

Regards,

Peter
Midaspeter

Postby astonmartine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:11 am

I currently have an insurance on the British registration, but since this Midas is first registred in 1988 I'd still have to pay tax for it.
So driving it around on British registration without paying tax would be a form of fraud.

Anyway, sitting here and typing this message does mean that I arrived back in the Netherlands safe and sound :)
The little Midas made the trip. It was quite an adventure I have to say.

The engine is reliable, but the rest of the car needs a lot of TLC. Which I'm planning to take care of, of course.
astonmartine

Postby Alan D. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Welcome Astonmartine,

If you ever come to Newcastle on the Ferry, let us know we (The N.E. Midas group) will be happy to meet up with you.

Or at Classic Le Mans in 2010!

Get your cars finished everybody this is the deadline! Remember we are teaming up with the Mini Marcos Club as a joint venture.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby astonmartine » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 am

Well, as a start to be able to make it in time for Le Mans 2010:

Does anyone know if there are wiring schemes availible for the Gold Coupe?
astonmartine

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:03 pm

We have a scheme somewhere on the net. I have to look it up. Basically it's just the wiring of the Metro with extra earth wires. It's best you buy a Haynes of the Metro on Ebay. I bought mine new (stupid me!), but on Ebay you'll be able to get it for a few pence.
Hans Efde

Next

Return to The Doorbell - Introduce yourself