Oh bugger!

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Oh bugger!

Postby wolfie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Spent all my time concentrating on designing bits and pieces to update the rear subframe then discovered something which has taught me a lesson. The front ends been parked on grass for the best part of a year and yesterday was the first time I've looked under the bonnet in all that time. Literally everything metal has that brown crusty stuff we call rust on it including the carbs I lovingly restored before it got put to rest for messing about with (they now need new springs and linkages). Depending on just how bad it is I may be designing a spaceframe to replace the subframe
wolfie

Re: Oh bugger!

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

......one of the reasons I have such a fixation on Ti. No rust!

I'm a firm believer in driving cars to keep them running (unless they are under cover of a garage).

Within the same timeframe, if a car is running, it doesnt seem to get as rusty as a car sat still on the drive.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Yep, mine is in the shed under a cover. Even the brake discs don't rust!. Occasionally I roll it to prevent flat spots on the tyres and I also treat them with tyre care. When I owned Midasses that were outside the whole year I sprayed WD40 on every bare metal piece to prevent rust.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Depending on just how bad it is I may be designing a spaceframe to replace the subframe

I'm doing this job at the moment, would be interesting to compare ideas!

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 ... C00133.jpg

Just a dream to get to this standard!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby wolfie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Alan D. wrote:
Depending on just how bad it is I may be designing a spaceframe to replace the subframe

I'm doing this job at the moment, would be interesting to compare ideas!

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 ... C00133.jpg

Just a dream to get to this standard!

Alan

Am I being too much of a nerd saying that rear beam looks gorgeous? Unfortunately car ended up unused because the missus said the engine was too difficult for her to cope with and there's no air con (women eh!) and I became paralysed so all the plans are because I refuse to sell it as it's my baby so I'm aiming to civilise it for the missus to keep it on the roads for years to come.
The only problem I've come across recently is nearly setting fire to the wheelchair when welding :lol:
wolfie

Postby Alan D. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:55 pm

My wife won't go in my convertible as she says it's too uncomfortable, this is one of the reason I'm trying to sort the suspension and not putting in a fancy engine!!

Alan
Alan D.

Return to General Chat