MOT 2012

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MOT 2012

Postby manifold » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Happy to say April MOT 2012 didn't cause me any undue worries.

Main things that you seem to need to look out for are:

That all your warning lights are working
Tow bar electrics (if fitted) must be working and in good order.
Your seat must be able to adjust 3 positions and be secure.
Door must close properly, with ease. (relevant to the Midas as the hinges do go bad with wear and drop).
All repairs must be done to a high standard.
Wiring secure and to a good standard.
Fuel lines not chafed.
Battery secure.
HID's (Headlamps) must be levelling and have a wash wipe facility.
Rose joints don't need boots...only greased swivel joints dust covers (which must not have any splits in at all now).
Inner CV boots are now checked.

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: MOT 2012

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I believe the tester is not allowed to remove panels to inspect what's behind - I'm thinking of the front undertray. However I suppose they might be able to check the inner CV joint rubbers from above.
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

I suppose the headlamps levelling and wash installation is only for cars that have these fitted? And they must be fitted on cars from a certain production year? But does this also apply to the SVA or are kitcars exempt? It will be a big problem for trackday cars I suppose. I have never seen an Ariel Atom with such a system.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 pm

My step-daughter got caught by the change when her car failed just after Christmas. When it was resubmitted after the new year it failed on the ball joint boots which hadn't even been an advisory on the previous test.

I've got to get mine tested, it's been off the road about 8 months now. At least I don't need to worry about exceeding my limited mileage policy.
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am

Im guessing a lot of these things are car year related.. IRO headlamps etc.

Interesting to note that some cars are having to have their CATs refitted now as its now a requirement (very clean burn cars could get away with having them removed before). If it was fitted in the year (or model) then it has to be on. Excluding stuff like tow bars which are obviously added. Weird that there is a different test for the 7 pin tow bar electrics (visible check) as opposed to the 13pin, which has a plug in to check it.

On stuff like airbags, the light on dash has to work....and airbag wheel has to be fitted....so that rules out fitted aftermarket steering wheels.

Not a lot of this stuff affects kit cars....but worth noting. Inner CV boots and balljoint seals being an exception. I thought I was going to be hit with my rear rose joints but thankfully they are not included as they don't normally have a dust cover (although you can get them).
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm

It's annoying that the rubber boots you get these days fail long before the ball joints do. I think the top ball joints on my Ginetta are the original ones, which means coming up to 35 years old!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:It's annoying that the rubber boots you get these days fail long before the ball joints do. I think the top ball joints on my Ginetta are the original ones, which means coming up to 35 years old!

My local garage keeps a box of boots for just that reason, he gave me a couple for the blasted Fiat.
Rich

Return to General Chat