A brand new Midas?

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

A brand new Midas?

Postby Stuart » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I saw this on pistonheads. I wonder if the story is true with regards to the brand new kit?

Near to where I live a kit car has been delivered. I saw this and spoke to the buyer/owner a nice bloke. This is his first kit car so I whis Jack well with it.

The car is a monocoque 2+2 coupe hatchback with FWD and good aerodynamics. It styling is current and has a hint back to great kit from the 1980 and 1990's. What do you think this use as a donor? Well the donor went out of 15 years ago. The company that built the donor is also history.

Hopfully most of you have named the donor and the kit car. Well its a Rover 100(Metro) and a Midas Cortez 2+2. This shows the problem with kits very well. I will not go into the history of Midas, but ask a simple question why are they still using this old donor car? The roads are full of supermini and city cars that could be used as donor for an updated Midas.

They are also full of sports models called things like GTI, XR, RS and SRI. A modern design in the Midas style coupe using clever aerodynamics with 2+2 seating and good handeling. At around £4-6000 would be a great buy instead of a secondhad hot hatch. Clealy this is a company that in the past took risks, but is not doing so today. They have become comfitable do what they are doing and do not want to take a risk. If I had the money I would buy the company and built that not car, based on a modern city car and sell them against those secondhand GTI, XR and SRI.
Stuart

Re: A brand new Midas?

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:57 am

I suppose his neighbour bought a secondhand Cortez.
Hans Efde

Postby Dewsnap Mk1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Ive got to admit I wonder why the rover 100 is still used as a donor, for how many low cost donor vehicles are still left? :/
I'd love to see a Midas design taking styling hue's from the the classic design, more feasible for modern use.
I do Transport Design at Uni, and would be a good project for me ahah :)
Dewsnap Mk1

Postby ACourtney » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:26 pm

If you take a look on pistonheads you can see my reply. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... #seperator

As long as there are plenty of Rover 100s and Metros around (and there are plenty around here, but Oxford used to be an Austin-Rover town) then it is difficult to beat as a donor.

If you have done any Midas inspired designs I would love to see them. I had a good correspondence with Italo when he came up with some Midas Coupe designs for CKC last year.
ACourtney

Postby Stuart » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I had a good correspondence with Italo when he came up with some Midas Coupe designs for CKC last year.

I missed them (I think :oops: ) I can't remember anyone mentioning them on here, but then again my memory is terrible these days.

Have you seen this design Alistair?
http://www.coroflot.com/simoncooksey/Mini-Marcos-2006
Stuart

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 pm

dewsnap my midas is on the road again when will you be meeting the mini lads im eager to get out and about after missing stoneleigh do you kn ow of any mini shows coming up
b1zbaz

Postby ACourtney » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:06 am

Stuart wrote:
I had a good correspondence with Italo when he came up with some Midas Coupe designs for CKC last year.

I missed them (I think :oops: ) I can't remember anyone mentioning them on here, but then again my memory is terrible these days.

Have you seen this design Alistair?
http://www.coroflot.com/simoncooksey/Mini-Marcos-2006

I'll have to look out the feature for you. I think it came out in July or August last year. My e-mail correspondence with Italo ran through May and June.

I hadn't seen that Marcos design before. I must admit that it wasn't until I looked at some Mini Marcos photos that I could spot the styling cues. On the whole I like the design, but it makes the fundamental mistake of having the tallest point at the top of the screen before the roofline drops dramatically. So the occupants end up sat much lower than is practical. That seems to be a common mistake with a lot of concept designs these days.
ACourtney

Postby Dewsnap Mk1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 am

I'll set about some concept sketches and designs for both interior / exterior and make a short portfolio in the next few weeks for you to see :)

Sam
Dewsnap Mk1

Postby fuoriserie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Dewsnap Mk1 wrote:I'll set about some concept sketches and designs for both interior / exterior and make a short portfolio in the next few weeks for you to see :)

Sam

Any updates on your design ?
fuoriserie

Postby lankyjames » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 pm

There are some interesting sketches of a new midas design here;
http://midasownersclub.co.uk/gallery/in ... jYzMzg3YTA

These were pulled over from the old Delhpi forums;
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Midas1

Created by Italo, and it was based on a mk6 facelift fiesta hence the lights.

I've just been told fuoriserie is Italo, now i look stupid haha
lankyjames

Next

Return to General Chat