Midas Cars Forum Changes

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Midas Cars Forum Changes

Postby manifold » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Dear all,

Some members of the Midas Owners Club, via James, have asked if I allow integration of this forum into the Midas Owners Club.

Having considered this request I have agreed to allow this to happen as it seems the best way to go to keep things together, but I have agreed to this on the condition that the MAJORITY of the Midas Cars Forum is to be FREE and open for everyone, whether or not they are a member of the Midas Owners Club. One obvious reason for this is because I realise there are many members overseas who would obviously not be able to or want to benefit from a Club run from the UK.

I do not want the Forum to become a closed shop to subscription paying Midas Owners Club Members only and with that I let the Midas Cars Forum go in the Spirit of all things Open Source and I wish that it remains so.

I will leave my link up with the URL HTTP://WWW.MIDASCARSFORUM.COM/FORUMS

Kind regards,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Midas Cars Forum Changes

Postby lankyjames » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Just to add:

Nothing about the forums have changed. (I have missed the latest posts by MrBounce in his rebuild thread- for which I apologize, I am sorting his replacement hinges out now for him :) )

Those with privileged access, admins moderators etc still have their power, the forums are a complete backup of the original, hopefully with increased uptime, speed and the latest version of phpbb. (plus freeing up David's spare time, my thanks to him for hosting and maintaining it).

The forums will never become pay-for-access and will forever be accessible by midascarsforum.com.

Edit: Currently some attachments are not available, I am working with David to import these onto the new host and service should resume as normal.
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

I have a feeling a lot of people will have lost access to the forum with the old address as I did. It was only by following a user activate email I realised the change.

I used this in my favourites to access the forum http://midasforum.dyndns.org/index.php? ... 079f90b980
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Stuart wrote:I have a feeling a lot of people will have lost access to the forum with the old address as I did. It was only by following a user activate email I realised the change.

I used this in my favourites to access the forum http://midasforum.dyndns.org/index.php? ... 079f90b980

I think I can send a mass group email to alert all registered members :)
lankyjames

Postby manifold » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 pm

yes you should be able to do that mass mailer.....and put a new shortcut in it for everyone to use.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

That'll be good James. Although I'd not received an email from the forum for a couple of years, until the changeover just! Lets hope others don't suffer the same issue.
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 am

Sent a mass email now, hopefully everyone gets it!

I've also re-enabled tapatalk for mobile devices.
lankyjames

Postby kelvink » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 am

I have to say I'm also a keen open source fan who is pleased to see that people are pulling together rather than apart.

Whilst there's bound to be a few glitches to begin with, not least of which will be the countless number of people who bookmarked the forum, I am sure that things can only become far simpler now and also likely to be more reliable with less server outages, providing there is the bandwidth here.

Well done guys for getting together for hopefully a more harmonious and coordinated online presence relating to our great little cars.
kelvink

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 am

Tapatalk is working for me now James. Thanks.

manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

I've started using the new link to access the forum, but what I find is that despite ticking the "keep me logged in" box, I'm having to log in on every separate visit. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
DavidL

Next

Return to General Chat