Nice Crankshaft

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Nice Crankshaft

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Stuart

Re: Nice Crankshaft

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Bargain.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 pm

At that price, I don't think I'll be buying one.

I must be missing something though. The text says they've designed it with 5 main bearings, but I only see three machined bearing surfaces - and nothing machined between 1 and 2, or between 3 and 4. Can anyone explain to me how it's supposed to simulate having 5 main bearing journals?
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm

It does say
therefore creating two “false” journals which enables the counterbalance to be doubled - much like a modern crankshaft!

and if you compare it to a standard crank you can see the effect created.

I think I'll have two :P
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

I can see that, Stuart, but I can't see the advantage, without actually having the support of journals between 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4. it doesn't seem to me that the crank could be any stiffer without that extra support.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

They say it is about balance and smoothness, I see the Dart used an engine with that crank to win at Goodwood a couple of years ago.

The DC5 engine has already been used in anger, powering the Mini-based DART to a win in the Fordwater Trophy at Goodwood in September. Nick Swift says,” The double counterbalance engine revved easily to 8400rpm and the traditional harsh harmonic vibration which saps the power at the top end is gone, it is brilliantly smooth.”

So would you like to order one? I'm on commission :D
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Stuart wrote:They say it is about balance and smoothness, I see the Dart used an engine with that crank to win at Goodwood a couple of years ago.

The DC5 engine has already been used in anger, powering the Mini-based DART to a win in the Fordwater Trophy at Goodwood in September. Nick Swift says,” The double counterbalance engine revved easily to 8400rpm and the traditional harsh harmonic vibration which saps the power at the top end is gone, it is brilliantly smooth.”

So would you like to order one? I'm on commission :D

I'll get back to you on that one... ;)

Wonder if anyone's ever considered making a block with five REAL bearings in it? 8-)
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 am

If I had that money in surplus I wouldn't bother upgrading an A-series engine anymore, but would put my money on getting a Japanese 1300cc engine in the Midas. An all aluminum engine with 5 speed gearbox, maintenance free and no more oil leakage. I reckon 3500 gbp is what it takes to buy a good engine and have the bits manufactured to make it work inside the Midas.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 am

Some people do it for an awful lot less with their Minis, £350 in total for a Micra swap are claimed by some.

Allspeed will have a Mini subframe for the Micra engine in November this year, or there about.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I'd need a handful of Diazepam before attempting 8400 rpm, even with a fancy crank... :roll:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to General Chat