Light Entertainment

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Light Entertainment

Postby Jon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I am trying very hard at the moment to finish the various jobs on my Midas that need doing to get it ready for a return to the road in the spring. One of the things I've done while it's been off the road is to give all the rear lights a good clean up. I've also fitted an MGF high level brake light, and a Peugeot interior light in place of the scruffy original item.

Barring unforseen problems, I hope to be able to take it to Stoneliegh this year.

Here's a little video clip of the rear lights. http://youtu.be/m-mR6QvrFnY
Jon

Re: Light Entertainment

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Nice work, that car is so clean. The black paint on the rear valence looks interesting.
Stuart

Postby Jon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Stuart, I was pleased with the way my centre exit RC40 system worked out, but always thought it looked a bit of a bodge while the cut-out for the original exhaust was sticking out like a sore thumb. I filled the cut-out with an aluminium blanking plate, covered by a thin layer of grp and filler in such a way that it could be removed if anyone ever wanted to return it to original spec. I didn't want to paint the whole rear valance since the gelcoat still polishes up nicely, so I painted a dummy 'venturi' over the cut-out, with a matching one on the other side. Also made a cover for the exhaust hangers so it doesn't look so agricultural. I think it looks quite neat. It still surprises me how well the original gelcoat polishes up. I've been using AutoGlym metal polish on it - it's the best thing I've found so far for restoring the shine to gelcoat. I had it for polishing the Wolfies on my AC, and I can't remember what prompted me to try it on the Midas, but it sure works well. On the parts of the body where there are no blemishes, the gelcoat looks like the day it left the factory, certainly doesn't show its twenty-nine years.
Jon

Postby kelvink » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:51 pm

I have to say I did wonder if it was the recently sold 'new from the factory' unfinished Mk2. Looking very smart.

I too have gone for central exhaust though I am doing an under-tray with rear diffuser for mine

from last year
kelvink

Return to General Chat