Hydragas units

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Hydragas units

Postby benofbrum » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 pm

007 is back on the road. That is 5011007, the last Excelsior out of Redditch, passed it's MOT today and is now filling the space left by the departed Cortez, which I suppose is technically a 2+2 coupe since it was built by GTM.
The tester pointed out that one of the CV gaiters was not secure and while fixing it, I noticed that the hydragas unit is quite corroded. Since one of the rears on the Cortez failed due to rust while on holiday in France, I think I will replace sooner rather than too late. My donar was a 1990 K series car. Are the displace units interchangable between earlier and later Metros or with MGF's of which there seem to be plenty on Ebay.
benofbrum

Re: Hydragas units

Postby wolfie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I know the MGF rears can go in the front end of rover metros but I think the other way round is a different matter as the MGF's cans are a different size at the front to their rears
wolfie

Postby benofbrum » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks Wolfie for that
benofbrum

Postby ACourtney » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Neil,

I sent you a PM, which you don't appear to have opened yet, to say that I have some new/old stock Hydragas units in stock.

The MGF hydragas units will fit physically, but as the MGF is mid-engined and therefore has a totally different weight distribution, the spring and damper rates will be different. Maybe that is why Wolfie suggests that the rear ones can be used at the front, as the weight at the front of a Rover Metro, or Midas, will be similar to the rear of the MGF.

If you are coming to Castle Combe on the 27th we can have a chat about it then.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Postby benofbrum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks Alistair,
I have just discovered that I have an inbox and consequently found your PM.
I hope to be at Castle Combe. Will email Tony now and book.
Perhaps if I look through the forum closely I will find out how to add pictures to a post and show my mods to the heater intake.
Neil
benofbrum

Return to General Chat