Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Postby Alan D. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 am

Hello all,

Just an update on the progress so far. Yesterday I drove down to the supplier (423 miles or 705 kms round trip) to deliver a front screen, which he needed to have in order to get check dimensions, just to make sure we are using the correct mould.

I also delivered a rear hatch, so he can price for making up new heated ones. We also talked about opening rear side windows, which I would like to do in order to get ventilation through the car, as none of my coupes have sun roofs, but I will start a separate thread on this topic.

We may have missed a trick here, especially for the convertible users. On modern cars the edges of the screen, are screen printed and this give a solid black edge tapering to little black dots, which looks very pretty. But the real reason for this process, is to act as a primer for the bonding in process. Midas convertible screens will need to be bonded in and the edge of the screen will need to be primed with a special black primer (neatly) before bonding in. If we wanted to go down this route, the master print would be about £200 and then about a £1 a car to apply! This screen printing gives a very modern and professional look to the car. What are your thoughts?

Ricky, the supplier is a very helpful and informative man. I asked about the process of the fine wires embedded into the screen and he explained, that the process has been up and running for years. He showed me a rear screen from a 1959 Mini which was heated in this manner! I thought Ford had a patent on this process, but he explained Ford had a patent on the name Quick clear, but the process existed long before they started putting it in their production cars!

He also rang two major suppliers Pilkington and Autoglass, to check on the price of a standard cold screen. But they said the 126 screen is no longer available, but I bought one about three years ago, so there may be some stock somewhere in the country. So it seems that we may be the only source for these screens!

I'm hoping to place the order by next Friday, that way we are in with a chance of distributing the screens at Stoneleigh, which would give you all an excuse for a weekend off! ( Or as George says, you could always stay at home and cut the lawns or follow she who must be obeyed around Tesco.) So get your cheques or instructions to me by then, otherwise you will miss out.

Oh, I've also contacted the Fiat 126 club, to see if they want a few, that way we may be able to afford the screen printing!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:47 am

Good morning everyone,

I just want to update everybody on the latest situation!

This morning I have posted to everyone, either confirming payment or requesting payment. So if you are in the buying group and have not received a post from me, please get in touch.

I have managed to avoid the March price increase, just by the volume that I hope we can order. So if you cannot manage payment of the deposit by Friday next, again please get in touch and we can make alternative arrangements. I'm a bit pink lint myself!

I'm interested in maintaining our volume (25 screens so far), so as a belt and braces measure I'm now in contact with the Fiat 126 owners club. (God loves a tryer)

But remember the Fiat 126 windscreen is no longer available through normal channels, so if somebody wants a screen in the future, I have two normal screens, one new and one used, both will be for sale, at a kings ransom!

Sorry, I've forgot to mention. I have not cashed anyones cheques as yet, I will only cash them when we place the order, then I will bank them all together.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Victorc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 am

Alan,
Thanks for your hard work on this project.

The screen print around the edges would give a very professional finish, if every one went for it, the cost would only be around £10 each, well worth it.

I just wonder if you could face the hassle of checking around all the people who are buying the screens?

I would be happy to pay up to £20 so we would need at least 10 people (OK so that would be £21 each, that would be affordable).
Anyone else up for it?
Regards
Victor
Victorc

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 am

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the kind words Victor.

I'm game for going for the screen print idea, so that's three screens in favour, come on everybody, give me your views!

I would do a poll, but very few people bothered ticking the boxes on the last one I did.

3/25 the view so far.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:03 am

Go on then Alan, you've twisted my arm. Printed screen it is.

Saves the installer making a mess up with the masking tape.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 am

Screen print for mine too please!

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby Jon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Not for me thanks, I'll take mine plain.

One of the things that irritates me about modern cars is the ridiculously large areas of glass covered in useless black material. I'm not inclined to pay extra to have the usable area of my screen reduced. If that's all that was on offer, I'd have one anyway, but given the choice - no thanks.
Jon

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Jon wrote:Not for me thanks, I'll take mine plain.

One of the things that irritates me about modern cars is the ridiculously large areas of glass covered in useless black material. I'm not inclined to pay extra to have the usable area of my screen reduced. If that's all that was on offer, I'd have one anyway, but given the choice - no thanks.

Hi Jon,

I don't think that's a problem, I bet I could get with and without screen printing screens made. We are only canvasing opinions and your opinion is respected. The other thing that was mentioned in the early days, was tinted screens or part tinted screens. But nobody seemed interested and maybe with hindsight on a car of this age a tint may not be appropriate!
I'm just trying to give everyone choices. we are spending a reasonable amount of money, so everybody should get what the want!

Can every body else please voice their opinion.

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello all,

Just a progress report:

I have twenty deposit cheques (or money) and three “the cheque is in the post”, then that just leaves two people for me to chase. I think we are winning!

Come on the last two get in touch! Then we can "Rock & Roll".

Alan
Alan D.

Postby TR6 ANSA » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Alan,

Screen print for me too, If I'm able to pay the deposit ;-)
Midas Bronze
Triumph TR6 PI
Peugeot 106 Rallye
TR6 ANSA

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat