Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello All,

We now 26 confirmed orders, but it is not too late for anyone to join in, the door is still open!

with regards to all of the group who are already involved, tonight I have sent everyone an email with the next steps to be taken outlined.

The only trouble is that nine of the recipients are recorded as undeliverable! My postmaster also said this the last time I sent a group email but some of you got the posts anyway! Please can all of the group check their spam boxes and contact me if they haven't received the latest update!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Alan,

Nothing received this end, I'll send you and email from my supanet.com account.

Rich (C)
;)
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking for somebody who knows which windscreen rubber we need, to see if they can find it in this catalogue.

You need to use the drop down arrow and select online catalogue.

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/

Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 pm

One on this page perhaps http://catalogues.kellysearch.com/catal ... pg=83&cn=1

I can't find my old windscreen seal at the moment sorry.
Stuart

Postby Rich » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 pm

Umm, mine is bonded in. Is that unusual to the convertibles or can you use either method?

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Rich,

I'm led to believe that is the case for all convertibles, they did that to try and stiffen up the structure due to the lack of roof. But you use a rubber on everything else.

Be Safe use a rubber!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Looks like it's bonding for me then! I think for safeties sake I'll get a professional in to do the job, I think the original screen should come out easy enough, it certainly doesn't keep water out, but I'll leave it until I know where to put the wiring for the heated screen.

Did you receive the cheque ok?

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Hello everybody,

This is just a quick post as I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

But I've been trying to track down the windscreen rubber and I think that I have found it.

http://catalogues.kellysearch.com/catal ... -location=

The model numbers is IRS 1724 W/S

It's £3.23 per metre!

Does anyone recognise the profile?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Hello Everybody,

Just an update on what's happening.

I have received cheques or monies for some sixteen windscreens, we have orders for twenty five screens, so that leaves nine people who need to pay or at least get in touch and let me know their intentions.

My next move is that I need to drive down to Tamworth on Friday next, about 200 mile for me and deliver a front screen and a rear hatch to Ricky.

Ricky has found a supplier with the correct tooling for a Fiat 126 screen. The supplier is in Italy, so hopefully they should know a thing or two about Fiats! He is also expecting the delivery to be a bit quicker than expected. But this is to be confirmed.

I have two screens in stock, a brand new one and a screen which I removed from my Mk2, which is as originally fitted by Midas Cars. So this original screen is the one that we will use as a template. Basically Ricky just needs to take check dimensions from this screen and confirm that the manufacture is using the correct moulds.

My intention is to place the order on Friday 13th March 2009 and as I said earlier, I have deposits for sixteen screens. So if you have not paid your deposit by the said Friday, I will be placing the order. Whether it be for 16, 20 or 25 screens. If you don't get your deposit to me by that date or a least contact me with your intentions of what you want to do. Then I will be placing the order, no deposit or instructions then no brand new heated front screen for your Midas. Sorry to be so harsh, but I am going to a lot of trouble and I don't want this to drag on all year. We did start with this idea in November 2008!

Certain people have asked me for bank transfer facilities, this can be arranged just email or phone me.

I have been doing some due diligence on this firm, I didn't want to just hand our money over to a stranger. So first of all Geoff Wilson, one of our Midas owner visited the suppliers office and contacted him by telephone, this was done in the early days of the project and our thanks must go to Geoff for doing that. I have since then, contacted Dion, who organized the group buy for the GTM people. I also have a report from "Trap" one of the GTM owners, who has his screen installed and operational.

A copy of his post is below.

Verdict on mine, tried it out a couple of weeks back. Loving it! Main problem I had was condensation once id got in the car an it clears that relatively quickly, no idea what it would be like with heavy condensation due to a wet interior or the likes as I'm lucky enough to have a watertight'ish car.

The heating elements don't go right to the edge of the bottom of the screen due to the curvature so on a cold wet day you do still have a nicely fogged up triangle at the extremities of the screen. Doesn't obscure vision to much tho (much less than a fully fogged up screen for sure) but on a screen with less of a curve/tapper like the Midas this will be less of a problem as the elements will I guess reach all the way across.

Mine was fitted with a Mini heated rear screen switch on the center console, looks nice an neat. Top tint looks good as well. Shame I wont get to drive the thing so much till the summer when I wont need it so much.

So he seems relatively happy. the only difference between their order and our order, is that the GTM screens were made in China and our screens will be made in Italy!

So that's all for the moment, but it it is not too late for anyone else to join in, a week Friday is the deadline, so for those that require a heated front screen, driving next winter should be a joy!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Alan,

You've just reminded me.

Solaglas was the firm that made side glass for the original convertibles before they went bang. I know this as I was fortunate at the time to get the last of their stock so I could complete my car. They kindly gave me 2 sets (1 for free) as it was the last stock they had.

I cant remember their address but im guessing it was this one:

http://solaglas.sggs.com/

Interesting to see they are linked to Saint-Gobain who manufactures OEM glass for FIAT.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat